• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Confessions of a Holiday Junkfood Junkie

Frito pie..........don't ask! It's dry and bland........but for what ever reason(I guess cause I only eat it this one time of the year.) It's Fritos, drenched with Wolf brand chili and topped with cheese. Not really appetizing, but for some reason......I eat some of it. One sevrving is all I need to hold me over till next Thanksgiving. I won't say which person on my outlaws side makes it cause she'll throw a chit fit like she always does...........:icon_smil

When my oldest brother was still around, he would mess with our nieces by making garlic cheese cake, garlic fudge and jalapeno cheese cake. The facial expressions were priceless!:icon_devil

Craig

my wife makes a smoked salmon ball you put on ritz crackers that some people almost fight over . all the better if you got beer to wash it down with

I really like the following:

1. Fruitcake
2. Jell-o Salad, green with mandarins
3. Spinach dip with bread
4. Kitsune sushi
5. Chinese Almond Cookies made with lard

I forgot about that one, it's a classic. I also use habanero jelly instead of the A1 and it turns out good. Another use of the cream cheese. Spread it on some of those wafer thin beef/ham slices and then roll up and cut into slices. Works really good with the Onion and Chives brand Philadelphia CC.

Phil....I had forgotten about the spinach dip too. It's really good with those bacon flavored crackers.

The true cream cheese treat is to cover it with PICKAPEPPA SAUCE. I knew I would marry my wife when she had a bottle of it in her fridge.

I've got one to add. It's been a family favorite for some 30+ years. I've done this for holiday parties and never fail to get a callback. Mom's used the frito lay bean dip with jalepeno, but I tweaked it with bean dip.

Bean Dip
1.5 lbs hamburger
1 15 oz (or so) Jar of black bean dip
4.5 oz taco sauce/picante (your preference
1 can bean with bacon soup (Campbells)
1/4 cup brown sugar
(I've adjusted the following looking for the perfect amount of heat. If you go overboard, you can add more brown sugar)
1 tsp granulated garlic (powder or salt will do)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp each tabasco and chili powder to taste
salt to taste
add water as needed

I'm still tweaking the heat elements.

Serve heated with Frito Corn Chips.

I've got one to add. It's been a family favorite for some 30+ years. I've done this for holiday parties and never fail to get a callback. Mom's used the frito lay bean dip with jalepeno, but I tweaked it with bean dip.

Bean Dip
1.5 lbs hamburger
1 15 oz (or so) Jar of black bean dip
4.5 oz taco sauce/picante (your preference
1 can bean with bacon soup (Campbells)
1/4 cup brown sugar
(I've adjusted the following looking for the perfect amount of heat. If you go overboard, you can add more brown sugar)
1 tsp granulated garlic (powder or salt will do)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp each tabasco and chili powder to taste
salt to taste
add water as needed

I'm still tweaking the heat elements.

Serve heated with Frito Corn Chips.

So it's a can of Frito Lay bean dip, plus a jar of the black bean dip? Is the beef browned and added to the mix, or cooked with the seasoning below the brown sugar?

I'm sorry. The original had Frito Lay. I substituted black bean. Brown the beef first and drain fat. Then add the rest of the ingredients.

So it's a can of Frito Lay bean dip, plus a jar of the black bean dip? Is the beef browned and added to the mix, or cooked with the seasoning below the brown sugar?

Stupidly simple, but I love olives (green or black, preferably both) stuffed with the canned "cheddar cheese" stuff. Been eating them since i was a kid.

I made Scott's BBQ Meatballs for a Christmas party last night. It made 56 balls. There were 20 people and they ate em all and begged for more. One guy took a roll and wiped the crotch pot clean. It got rave reviews as always. The only tweak I made to Scott's recipe was I added 2 Tblsps of Lea & Perin's Thick Burger Booster Worcestershire. I dont know why. But when I was at the mixing stage it just screamed out for Worcestershire. So I gave it to it. Awesome.

Thanks again, Scott. Thinking of you and your family here at Christmas time again.

Chex party mix ( My sis makes it with all differnt kinds of fancy crackers in it ) Homemade summer sausage and cheese balls with crackers. Stuff hard to stay away from.

Couple of mentions of chex mix.

Got a suggestion. Been doing this for about 15 years and this stuff can be ADDICTIVE.

Two major changes, works with any Chex Mix Recipe.

1. Smoke it. Drop the liquid smoke and instead do it in your smoker. Amazing what it does for the flavor. And who is doing their Chex Mix with Liquid Smoke :(

2. Hot sauce. Add some of your favorite hot sauce to the liquid you pour on the chex mix. It gives it a nice bite. Kevin mentioned he adds actual peppers, but I find they don't blend the flavor like using hot sauce.

3. OPTIONAL: We'll add Captain Crunch. Really. Gives us a little more sweet/heat kind of thing. I've actually use almost any kid cereal over the year but CC seems to hold up well.

This is not purely a holiday recipe. We love it all the time, but it's really pretty around the holidays - especially if you use red and green jalapenos.

These candied jalapenos are great in lots of things. On burgers or other sandwiches, combined with other ingredients as a glaze or sauce, on a block of cream cheese and served with crackers. I love to add them to jam or jam and soy sauce and use as a sauce for meatballs.

I can them, but they certainly don't have to be; they keep in the fridge for a long time. This recipe will make about 5 or 6 cups. There will be leftover juice which can be used in a variety of ways too. I would credit it, but I don't know where I got it.

Here's the recipe:

Candied Jalapenos

3 pounds fresh, firm, jalapeno peppers, washed
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or not!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Note:This recipe makes a lot of juice. Can it and use it for glazes,
Italian beef, etc., or pickle other veggies or use more pounds of
jalapenos. I've heard candied cauliflower and carrots are pretty good!

Remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. I used the food processor to make quick work of it. I like them more towards the thicker slice -- about 1/4 inch. Set aside.

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery
seed, granulated garlic, red pepper, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat
and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for 4
minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into
clean jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar.

Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling
boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes. Add syrup to the jars and either boiling water bath or refrigerate.

Dang missed this thread ... now I'm hungry!

My snack mix: 1 can cashews, 1 can mixed nits, add butter and honey and mix well. Then your favorite BBQ rub. Then into the smoker and smoke until mixure is dry but not burndt.

and other fav: HOT JALAPENO CRAB DIP!

1 pound crabmeat
1 teaspoon garlic
½ cup chopped pickled jalapenos
¼ cup Monterrey Jack Cheese grated
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup mayonnaise
2oz Parmigiano-Reggianno cheese grated
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Setting the cheese a side .. combine the rest of the ingredients and gently mix.
Spoon mixture into a shallow baking dish.
Sprinkle cheese evenly on top of the crab mixture.
Bake until brown and bubbly, about 25 min. remove from oven and allow about 5 min. to cool before serving.
Serve with crackers or the small crouton breads.

Braunschweiger and cream cheese ball.

Oh holy cow, this sounds great. Going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

QUOTE=Kevin;211942]Ya gotta have a braunschweiger and cream cheese ball. I'll dig out the recipe and edit this post.

This is realy good with cocktails:
16 ounces liver sausage (Braunschweiger in Minnesota)
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
2/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (don't use miracle whip, it's too tangy)
4 Tablespoons dill pickle relish (If'n you ain't got any chop up a dill pickle)
4 Tablespoons chopped onion, some scallions add to the mix if you got em.
1 teaspoon Worsy sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (a couple of cloves fresh minced is better)
fresh parsley, or cilantro -- chopped for garnish

Mix the first 7 ingredients up and refridgerate overnight in a bowl lined with plastic wrap.
When ready to serve just tip the bowl over on a platter and remove the plastic wrap and garnish with the greens.
Serve with crackers.[/QUOTE]

Bugels and french onion dip. About as simple as it gets, but its a memory from my grandmother's house who always had a spread, but sadly and admittidedly by her was anything but a cook :rolleyes:.