What can you guys tell me about this "Hibachi Pot"?

tasterner

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
One of my buddies father gave me this to try and sell for him on eBay. He said he got it in Japan while in the service in the 60's, and it's been sitting in his basement untouched ever since he got back, never been used, or even completely unpacked. His original asking price was $300. It didn't sell, and being somewhat new to que'in, and now that I've got a wsm and am learning on that, I'm thinking about buying it myself.

Any input on the history, use, value, or any other information on this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_0993.jpg
    100_0993.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 496
  • 100_0995.jpg
    100_0995.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 482
  • 100_0997.jpg
    100_0997.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 478
BUY IT! No only does it have some unique history, it looks like it is in excellent shape and well built. If you get rid of it you might regret it later. I would buy it, then get to smokin and get her greased up!

I have 2 of the Kikuya Hibachi Pots.

The one you have pictured is an Ancient style with a plug draft. The dog ears on the lid were to open & close it. These were originally rice cookers! The hinge band and slide draft supposedly are an American invention-according to Richard Johnson of Kamado.com, who takes credit for reviving the home based Japanese potters after WWII.
He also goes on to take credit for the slide damper after repairing many due to the base cracking when the plug was used to kill the coals.

I'm no expert, but I really have immersed myself trying to gain as much info on vintage Japanese Kamados that I can. The Kamado.com forum Archives, used to have thought and ramblings on the subject, but it takes forever to wade through. Imperial Kamado apparently lost its domain name and that was the definitive site for historical info.

$300 is a good price for an unused Kamado, but I would replace the plug with a slide draft door from BGE. It will never be as versatile as a ceramic K, but with practice, you can put out some killer food on it.

Here is a linky from Kamado.com where RichardJ takes credit for the Hibachi Pot
http://www.kamadofraudforum.org/kthreads/KF Relation to Imperial Kamado - kamado isnt a word.htm

Would it be possible to drill and mount a thermometer on it? Or not a good idea?

KIYUKA Hibachi Pot

I have a great story to tell about this egg style kamodo grill.
My cousin Joe Henry a member of the Tulalip Tribes in Washington state helped a friend out five or six years ago with some gas money, and some labor work. Joe's friend was moving out of his residence and could not pay him for his help.The kamodo grill was gifted to Joe for helping his buddy out. The grill was brought home from Japan in the mid 60's, stored in the box it was purchased in for some 25 years. Joe took possession of it and stored it in the same way.
I went to visit my Aunt and her son my cousin Joe was moving some stuff around in his garage. I started to help him when I noticed this box. I asked him what the hell it was and he said it was a BBQ. Then Joe asked almost instantly "you wanna buy it"? I said " how much"? He said "100 bucks". I gave him sixty bucks.

Joe is not a griller, a Q'er, he smokes fish and has a large smokehouse for fish. I knew the value of the BBQ'r he just sold me in terms of quality of the finished product, which would be any damn thing I decided to cook on it.
It had never been used up untill the day I used it. It was made in the earthenware kinda way so I basically took a couple cans of PAM and coated the inside the best I could.
I cured it with some Hickory... Marinated some Ribs... waited till the next day and a 3 hour low n slow and guess what ??? Some of the juiciest ribs I have ever had the pleasure of devouring.

A self cleaning 30 something year old japanese kamodo grill, cooks a great rack of ribs.

Yeah for us!!!:clap2:

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 228
Oh Yeah

Good Juicy Ribs. Beef Baby Backs.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 111
Just tell your buddy's dad that it only sold for $50 on Ebay :thumb:

One of my buddies father gave me this to try and sell for him on eBay. He said he got it in Japan while in the service in the 60's, and it's been sitting in his basement untouched ever since he got back, never been used, or even completely unpacked. His original asking price was $300. It didn't sell, and being somewhat new to que'in, and now that I've got a wsm and am learning on that, I'm thinking about buying it myself.

Any input on the history, use, value, or any other information on this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ted, I thought this sold already? You mean you still have the chance to buy it??? Buy it, already! What you waitin' for, farker?!!! :crazy:

No, unfortunately I sold it a year or so ago, before I bought my first egg. Definitely regret not buying it...

Back