• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What Smoked turkey rubs and injections

sitnfat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Smokin my first turkey this weekend what are some of yalls favorite injections and rubs?

I like to use Creole butter for a turkey injection. You can buy it at any wal-mart or grocery store. It seems to work well wtih chicken also

I second the creole butter and I like a rub that is made up of just herbs. Also recommend brining your bird.

Cajun Injector Creole Butter. I find it at Academy Sports. I also rub the bird down with liquid parkay and a sprinkling of cayenne powder. Stuff the bird with celery and apple slices to keep moisture in. I have been doing this for 30 yrs and have never brined.

I am a briner...Honestly I never found that the rub made a very big difference as most of the meat will never see it. Brine and smoke makes an awesome turkey in my opinion.

I use this for Cajan fried turkey either with or without oil. Should work great for smoking a bird:

vsdvfl.jpg

I usually just brine it and rub it down. I spatchcocked it last year with fantastic results. One of my favorite rubs for poultry is Plowboys Fin & Feather, Yardbird ain't to shabby either.

I would have to agree with the rubbing with just herbs and garlic..I also baste with REAL butter every hour or so...make sure you get under the skin with your rub...I too have never brined, but will prolly try it this year.

Better yet, brine and inject. That Cajun stuff is the bomb on turkey, i dont like that red spicy though, everything stays red and doesnt look natural imo, does taste good though..

I don't inject, but BRINE as well. I've done a BBQ rub before in the holiday "off season", but for traditional holiday birds I like to make up a fresh herb butter and rub it with that.

I use the maple one in the Chris Lilly book. I have made it twice and it has been popular both times.

Whatever injection I use, I actually add some of our poultry rub. It has apple powder and goes nicely with the turkey.

Eric

ok all you briners - I have 'heard' that a frozen bird is already brined - "8% solution....".

So why not just buy a frozen bird and let it thaw in the fridge for 3 days? and skip the manual brining? talk to me men!

I brine all birds to put the flavor in the meat not just on the outside.

I use Smokin Okies Holiday brine and double the garlic. Always awsome.

I find brining to be an absolute must with turkey. I respect the heck out of folks that master turkey easily and simply, but that's not me. I've worked long and hard to actually master a bird that's edible, must less fantastic. Now I make a couple a month with better than average success. I wonder from time to time about injecting with butter during the cook.

Back