Tough Chicken

Big Money Grip

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I tried chicken for the first time yesterday and it was kinda tough. What did I do wrong?
Here's what I did:
Breast, skin and all, was marinated. The drum was sitting on 300 and they stayed on for an hour.
The taste was good and the skin was awesome, just tough meat.
I'm all ears,
Scott.

Tough chicken maybe?
Maybe it's overcooked...

Chicken breast can dry out rather easily. I find that brining helps, and I take care to not let it cook beyond 170 internal temp.

[Edit: I meant to say don't go past 160 - 170 is what I cook thighs to.]

Last edited:
Chicken breast can dry out rather easily. I find that brining helps, and I take care to not let it cook beyond 170 internal temp.

I second the brining. I always brine all chicken I smoke or grill and my chicken stays juicy even when slightly over-cooking.

We do bone-in, skin-on breast quite a bit. Hot and fast. Recently I've been pulling of the skin (for the dog) near the end and glazing directly on the flesh. For the weight conscious, I 'glaze' with a little Fat Free Italian dressing mixed with Splenda.

What temp did you take the chicken to? I pull breast meat at 160-165 plus I brine. Sometimes tough chicken is just due to quality and nothing you did.

Big AL, care to elaborate on your process? I love me some yard bird.

Sure...this is just my take...there are lot's of variations out there but the family likes this one...

I mix the following in a large pot over med heat until dissovled. Toss in a few ice cubes to cool, then pour over chicken pieces in an XL zip-top bag. You can poke small holes in the skin to let more brine into meat. this. Will also alow fat to escape while cooking with skin-side down.

1/2 Gal water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup thin, store bought teriyaki sauce

Brine for about 2 hours. Remove from brine, rinse and pat dry. Sprinkle rub on top of and under skin (make sure it doesn't have too much salt). Let sit uncovered in fridge for at least 1/2 hour to dry skin and absorb rub.

For more than 30 years I've never found the need to brine or marinate
chicken.
It always comes out plump and juicy for me on the grill.
Of course I am very careful to not overcook it

It may be that the supplier in your area for that brand just has
tough chickens...or it was an old bird and not a young one.

In your case a brine may help.....essentially a brine is a long marinade.

Tough is usually overcooked... or a Rooster! (kidding, Kauai rooster recipe comes to mind) as said by many before shoot for 160-165 ish with a temp probe that is not touching bone.

45-50 minutes at 300 should be good for bone in breasts on a drum...

keep track of time and temp so you have a plan for the next attempt

keep on que-in!

Back