SoCal

MrSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Going to Newport Beach,La Jolla, San Deigo this week,anybody know of any good BBQ in that area :?:

Wish I could help. Don't get down that way too often and from what I've seen you would be hard pressed to find decent BBQ. All of those places are nice to visit. Very upper class. You might find some in San Diego because it is a bigger city but I don't have any recommendations.

Sorry.

Thanks icemn,i checked that out on Map Quest and it's about 2mi. from where i will be staying. I'll post a report on it when i get back.

There is a place in Long Beach. It is just off the 605(or 405?). You can see it from the highway. I think it was called Lucilles. Decent Q, tremendous portions, good prices. Very commercial though. But its worth the stop. I will get u exact directions if your interested.

BBQchef33 said:
Found them in a google. I went to the one on Carson St in Long beach. Itsa about 15-20 mins from Newport beach if ya take PCH up to 2nd street and jump on the 605n to the del amo exit.

http://www.elmerdills.com/restdetails.asp?id=100148

I have been there, was not terribly impressed, but then again, I was expecting too much before I went. Had a good time, though and I would go back again if the occassion came up.

We ate at Lucilles in Brea on the way down to Long Beach.The first thing i noticed was no smell of smoke outside and no wood in site. They had a Southern Pride in the middle of the dinning area,still didn't smell any smoke. they opened the smoker to put some peppers in and i went over to look. Still no smoke when they opened the door,however the meats all looked good. I ordered the combo 1/4 pc. Chicken & 1/2 rack of ribs with no sause so i could taste the meat fist and then add sauce.i was not impressed,their sauce was good and made the meal ok. They had tree splits on the floor on the oppisite side from the fire box for looks i guess.Maybe City Codes make them have some kind of scrubber to get rid of the smoke,but i don't think that would remove the smell of BBQ.I didn't get to try Clayton Shurley's or a place called Bandera's. My family said let's have sea food here and BBQ when we get home.So the chicken is on and i'm going put on a couple of fatty's.

We ate at Lucilles in Brea on the way down to Long Beach.The first thing i noticed was no smell of smoke outside and no wood in site. They had a Southern Pride in the middle of the dinning area,still didn't smell any smoke. they opened the smoker to put some peppers in and i went over to look. Still no smoke when they opened the door,however the meats all looked good. I ordered the combo 1/4 pc. Chicken & 1/2 rack of ribs with no sause so i could taste the meat first and then add sauce.i was not impressed,their sauce was good and made the meal ok. They had tree splits on the floor on the oppisite side from the fire box for looks i guess.Maybe City Codes make them have some kind of scrubber to get rid of the smoke,but i don't think that would remove the smell of BBQ.I didn't get to try Clayton Shurley's or a place called Bandera's. My family said let's have sea food here and BBQ when we get home.So the chicken is on and i'm going put on a couple of fatty's.

ISP problems at home.

Lucille's - my Bro in law recommended it to me just yesterdayt. He said "they gots great BBQ and we ought to go there for lunch someday". I replied - "let's wait 30 days for my cookers to arrive".

tommykendall said:
Lucille's - my Bro in law recommended it to me just yesterdayt. He said "they gots great BBQ and we ought to go there for lunch someday". I replied - "let's wait 30 days for my cookers to arrive".

Just shows you how many people really don't know what good BBQ is. :cry:

I'll retract a bit on my ealirer comment. Was on 2nd St. in Long Beach yesterday eating Mex food for lunch with my daughter. Lucilles was only 3 short blocks down on the opposite side of the road. Walked in to check it - asked for the manager. I was completely stuffed and in no condition to eat. Wanted to see if they could use some of my spare time for pit tending. Huge farking Southern Pride commercial smoker sitting smack dab in the middle of the joint. Nice hickory smell throughout the joint. They were just loading 2 huge tubs of BB's. The bottom rack of the cooker was full of almost done chicken halves, with one measely (but big) pork shoulder on the top rack for pulled pork. They don't do brisket, just tri-tip for beef. Their menu says they smoke tri-tip till it's "melt-in-your-mouth-tender". My experience is that you should cook a tri-tip basically like a london broil but what do I know. Anyway I told the dude they have to start doing brisket and I would help get them started. We'll see if he calls - no matter to me regardless. Even though I didn't eat - between the site of the cooker and the smell of their Q, it's probably one of the better for the area.

Back