Marinating Ribs for competition

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Do you guys marinate your ribs for competition? I have seen that some people do this. Wondering what the collective genius of the brethren think?

I have never marinated ribs before but then again I have never competed before either...

Remember you can not do anything to the meat prior to inspection,
after that, do what you feel compelled to do.
Never done it so i cant give you an answer on that .
just wait until meat inspection

nah. there's enough flavor packed into that small amount without needing any further enhancement.

at some point you DO want to taste the MEAT.

I realize that you want to taste the meat and have to marinate after inspection. Thanks for your thoughts. It seems like an unnecessary step to me but I am a rookie so what do I know! :laugh:

nah. there's enough flavor packed into that small amount without needing any further enhancement.

at some point you DO want to taste the MEAT.

Tried to pm you, mailbox full

I've done it. My opinion is don't be afraid to try something. If you think it's a good idea, bad idea, etc, try it. You don't know as long as it's just a thought.

We do it and have had good results.

i have marinated, brined, and injected. i have not ever noticed any added flavor from any of those, but with brining and esspecially injection the is so much moisture the bark has a hard time developing from excessive surface moisture. so i have come to the conclusion that a good rub on a piece of meat only 1 inch thick is good enough.

disclaimer:this is my expieriance with my techniques and my cooker. results may vary :thumb:

We've never tried it in practice run or competition. Try it out in a practice run and see how it goes.

I think the most important thing is to find what technique works for you. Once you find it and perfect it, you'll (hopefully) only need some minor tweaks to keep it consistently placing.

We've brined before with good results, but have done well without as too. Gonna try some side by side comparisons soon.

Any idea you have that doesn't sound far fetched, give it a try. Whatever is a good idea for pork butt, might give good results for ribs.

Back