BBQ @ the Beach State Championship - Raystown, PA Sept. 17-19th"

so in order to participate in KCBS we must set up on Friday? And what if we dont participate in the grilling on Sat., then what? I wont come to set up on Friday.........find a place to sleep.......then sit around all day Sat. and then again find a place to sleep for a little and then compete on Sunday, how about you switch the grilling to Sunday so I can go home. I sure wish these events were separate.....along with a different fee schedule

You can come and set up Saturday just like any other competition if you choose to come late. The schedule for KCBS is staying the same as this is a 3 day event and has been announced on the KCBS website as such.

so in order to participate in KCBS we must set up on Friday? And what if we dont participate in the grilling on Sat., then what? I wont come to set up on Friday.........find a place to sleep.......then sit around all day Sat. and then again find a place to sleep for a little and then compete on Sunday, how about you switch the grilling to Sunday so I can go home. I sure wish these events were separate.....along with a different fee schedule

Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't you start cooking for a KCBS turn in the night before?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't you start cooking for a KCBS turn in the night before?

I know that's what we do :becky: Please try and remember that this is a first year event and Brian is busting his butt so we have a good time!!

The fee schedule is set up so we can be sanction by the KCBS. Hope this helps!

I do apologize for being so critical.....a bad character trait I suppose. I was really excited when I heard about an event close to home, but when I saw the fee I was taken back a bit......guess I just dont understand the cost involved in sanctioning w/KCBS. Guess I'm going to have to find a new hobby

btw, I fire my smoker around 3:00 am ......the morning of the contest.

It isnt a problem if you still want to come and compete. The non sanctioned grilling event will have awards, the KCBS will also have awards, heck, showing up and setting up even has an award! Money will be awarded also so you never know I mean you could win it all back. Who knows. But I'm told competing isnt about the money to begin with. If it were, I'm sure less people would do it. I know Julie and Skip drop close to a grand each weekend just to show up and I'm sure that doesnt even cover the beer!

I know its seems like the entry is high but....if you add $35.00 for electric to a base fee of $250.00 its not far off. I like the idea of custom awards, competing by a lake and the quick response to questions i have had, kinda hard to beat for $15.00.. shoot I cant even get answers from some comps , even when its basic like did you get my entry fee and is there water to the sites or do we have to carry buckets.. this is gonna be alot of fun!!

Sweet! Would any of you guys be interested in doing a 30-45 min class for the public anything BBQ related. Suggested topics are how build a Uds to how to make (xxxx) BBQ on your grill or even oven I would also like a BBQ purist class but I think we need to make this as much an intro to BBQ as possible. you will have the opportunty to sell t shirts rubs or promote anything u want in the class.

It isnt a problem if you still want to come and compete. The non sanctioned grilling event will have awards, the KCBS will also have awards, heck, showing up and setting up even has an award! Money will be awarded also so you never know I mean you could win it all back. Who knows. But I'm told competing isnt about the money to begin with. If it were, I'm sure less people would do it. I know Julie and Skip drop close to a grand each weekend just to show up and I'm sure that doesnt even cover the beer!

Uuhhh, that $1k+ just starts to scratch the surface of that $50 a bottle High Roller Tequila.... :)

I will get the updates posted on the kcbs site as soon as it happens and post here then.

Team apps are trickling in!

This just in!!!

All the competitors and their families will be provided a moonlit cruise on the lake courtesy of 7 points marina - tix will be provided to teams upon arrival to the comp. Cruise is on a large double decker cruise boat with a capacity of 125. Cruise will last 60-90 minutes and start at 9pm.

We will also have additional tix for sale to public to serve as a competitors/fans mixer.

We will have a potluck before the cruise and the cruise can also be a byob or food brought on board but the galley will not be open for the cruise.

Just another freebie i am working on to make this an excellent trip for everyone!

How many stick burners and wood chunk users will be coming to BBQ at the Beach?

I am working with a potential sponsor for this event on bringing down some single species hard woods and fruits.

We have available in splits:
-Maple
-White Oak
-Poplar
-Hickory

and in chunks:
-apple
-cherry
possibly others.

We need to get our requests in ahead of time. I'm looking for what you would be interested in using or getting together to purchase if I can't secure a sponsorship. I was already told 2 cords delivered would be $350 or less if I need to go that route.

Also, We are looking to secure sponsorship and possibly samples for the teams a local charcoal "Humphrey Charcoal" and they offer a lump and briquette. Any input you have on this would also help.

Working on making this great for you!

Back