portion control

bosshawgs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
doing 2 big events next month serving pulled pork on roll and brisket on roll .how do you guys control how much meet go's on a roll looking to get about 5 oz on each roll and want to be consistent thanks tom

I use dishers in different sizes for each portion controlled item like corn, beans, chopped meats, etc.

what i meant was how do you get 5oz of pulled pork on the roll every time

I use 4" buns and eye ball it. Pretty much if I just throw it on a buns where it is falling off and looks like a huge sammie it is usually about 4.5oz when I have checked. With Brisket it's a little harder for me but I'll put a bun on my portion scales and tare the weight and then get a feel for the day on how much brisket is 5oz and go from there. Might be why I don't make much on brisket LOL

I have a pretty big event this weekend and was just thinking this myself. I'm only cooking for the event and others will be serving, but I was wondering how to help THEM portion correctly so that the church doesn't lose money.

I was thinking some sort of scoop or bowl to help them know how much?

When I am portioning, I kinda agree that once you get an amount figured out it's easy to do it by eye or feel, but when there will be shift changes for those putting together PP sammies, it can get out of hand I'd think.

I just bought some "spoodles" from webstaurant store, in the 4 oz size for beans and coleslaw. We tried it last night on some pulled pork, and a heaping spoonful worked out to be 4 oz by weight every single time. They make bigger sizes, my bet would be if you got a 6 oz spoodle, it'd work out to be 5 oz by weight, or close enough to be consistent.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/spoodle.html

I have been trying to figure that out for years with my crews, I can come within and 1/4 oz everytime but I have guys that make 8 oz and guys that make 3oz. Very hard to get correct with constantly changing staff

We use a digital scale and weigh every order as we make it. We pull the pork fresh right off the cooked butt and weigh and someone hands it off to the sammie maker from there. I like knowing that every order is on the money - that way everyone gets what they expected. It might take a minute longer...but it works well...well for us anyway ;)

For consistency you will have to either weigh the meat for each sammich when making the sammich, have a spoodle/scoop like cafeteria's use, or pre portion everything out.

Spoodle/scoop that most people have referred to is probably the quickest method for this.

doing applefest(big event) next weekend 1200 sammies in one day no way i am weighing every one .

In a restaurant, you would use a scale, it is quite fast actually. Once you get the hang of it. But, I have seen everything from dishers (like ice cream scoops, well, they are ice creams scoops) to plastic cups. You fill with meat product, flip onto bun and serve.

Very efficient and almost as accurate as weighing.

I agree w/ most here - scale is the only way to accurately nail it 100% of the time. Worth it for your food cost & your companies business (consistancy). We use a small plastic container, weigh w/ sauce & serve.

Yeah - weighing it has not big a huge issue for us when vending (even at peak times) - I just have one person pulling meat, weighing and handing it off to the person making the item. It's worked pretty well this year overall. I especially liked it when a lady tried to tell me all she got was chips on her bbq pork nachos - aka - very little meat and so on. I explained to her that we weigh every portion to 1/4 lb - so I knew I was right in telling her she got the correct portioning. I didn't have to feel bad - I knew - as where before we started using a scale and kind of guessed at it with a measuring device, she might have had me wondering.

Back