SmACk TaWK Cameras: Helpful or Hurtful?

D

dbaldin

I think this is a great place to discuss whether or not coverage of an event can go too far, or does it go far enough? It's been my experience that folks seem to enjoy being able to show off their efforts on camera. From teams, to judges, to organizers, and the general public that I've interviewed, people just like the fact that they can share it with friends and family.

But, there are lots of camera crews out there looking for the "money shot". As competition barbecue becomes more like NASCAR, as I see referenced a lot on these threads, then one can expect a lot more publicity, and therefore more cameras.

That would lead me to believe that sanctioning bodies and organizers would best be served by limiting the access to cameras to media areas, where the information and aesthetics are more controlled. And they should, because the media is a self-serving business.

This would leave me out in the cold because the nature of shooting an event in my eyes is the celebration of the event. Being invited to a photo op wouldn't cut it. So that begs the question: what is acceptable in terms of coverage of an event? What is intrusive?

I feel that cameras are good for BBQ. It's not the camera or camera operator's fault if they capture someone doing something wrong, or someone being indecisive. As long as the camera crew doesn't interfere with a team's ability to function, or disrupt a team in the midst of their routine, I see no reason why they should be limited. In Dover while Pitmasters was being filmed, we had to defend our site boundaries a few times and refuse to turn off our radio while listening to the Phillies during the playoffs, (which wasn't on loud), but other than that it wasn't too bad. They had no effect on our outcome. I wish we could blame them. LOL

I am of the same frame of thought, but I do believe if it ever came down to signing a media release with registration giving up any of my rights as a competitor or individual I will be looking for another competition. Unfortunately, you give them an inch and they will always expect a mile and then blame you when you don't give it all up freely.

At every level, our freedom and rights are much harder won than lost. Be careful what you give up, you may never get it back in your lifetime.

I am of the same frame of thought, but I do believe if it ever came down to signing a media release with registration giving up any of my rights as a competitor or individual I will be looking for another competition. Unfortunately, you give them an inch and they will always expect a mile and then blame you when you don't give it all up freely.

At every level, our freedom and rights are much harder won than lost. Be careful what you give up, you may never get it back in your lifetime.

:roll:

A lot of the applications I sign have releases written into them so the event can take pictures and promote their event.
No big deal.....

Dave, you know my thoughts!

I think its all good. The guts of the weekend, are where the magic is, not a photo op.
Folks that were tuned into the Jack feed, were in on some of the stuff that the teams in our site will joke about for years. LOL

I'm all for letting it out there, like everything you will have some folks that care, some that dont. I guess the teams can make thier boundries known at checkin or cooks meeting, if asked.

Back