WSM or Cajun Bandit? Need help deciding

F

Forrest

I want to add a vertical charcoal smoker to the backyard fleet, and I'm torn between buying a 22.5 WSM, or just getting the Cajun Bandit for my Performer. I like the idea of being able to save a little money and switch the kettle back and forth from grill to smoker, and I think it would keep the wife happier that I'm not officially adding a 4th Q to the backyard.......BUT

...if I get a WSM I can use that and the Performer at the same time and the WSM has the higher dome lid.

A potential 3rd option would be to buy a used 22.5 kettle and converting it with the Cajun Bandit. Using the legs in the kit would make it so the grill wasn't as high as it would be on the Performer, but then I'm still adding a 4th grill.

All in all it's a good problem to have :-D. I look forward to your input!

If I could find a cheap 22.5" OTG on CL or something, I would go with it and the Cajun Bandit. I'm thinking of doing this myself. Need to talk myself into it though!
BTW, the wife would kill me too!

Get the WSM and do a little landscaping work!

The funny thing is we have plenty of space for it. I think she just doesn't understand how they all do different things. She never complains when I serve dinner though. :-D

Honestly though, I think she would get over it pretty quickly. Nothing some flowers can't fix.

If you want to cook on both the Performer and a WSM, t hen you should get the WSM. Otherwise, just get the Bandit and have both (can only use it one way at a time however).

I should have qualified my original post. I already have 5 WSMs, so I don't need a 22.5" WSM, thus the consideration of a Cajun Bandit, that could still be used as a grill, just with shorter legs. Kind of like a huge Smokey Joe.

Just sayin'.

Another option would be to get a used 22.5 weber and get a smokenator insert. That would probably be your cheapest route.

It's what I use at home and I like it.

I have the C.B. and I use it on my peformer. I've also had an 18 inch WSM before so I'm familiar with both.

I really really like using the bandit with my performer because of the easy lighting and clean up. I also like that it's up off the ground.

The big difference between the CB and the WSM is that the CB has handles, a bigger water pan, a better door (it's awesome) and of course is 22.5 inches around (at the time I didn't have the 22.5 WSM option). The downside to the CB is it doesn't have the enamel coating.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I hope this helps.

I have three 18" and one 22" WSM's that I use for comps.

Guess what is on my deck?

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

If you want to complement your Performer, AND have the capability to do low and slow indirect, or turbo cook direct like a Drum Smoker-the answer is the Cajun Bandit!

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

Weber dropped the ball on the 22" WSM!

With the CB, you can do so much more for so much less!

I modded my OTS kettle with a OTG ash can and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to save some $$. Do a search on any of my Cajun Bandit cooks, I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

IMG_1471.jpg

Thanks all!

Brian, what would you say are the biggest functional gains by doing a CB setup over a WSM, aside from the XXL smokey joe?

Thanks all!

Brian, what would you say are the biggest functional gains by doing a CB setup over a WSM, aside from the XXL smokey joe?

For one, the price. $195 for the Cajun Bandit as opposed to $399 for the WSM.

Granted, the CB center section is painted with high temp paint and the WSM is porcelain coated. But you can paint the CB to match your Green Performer if you wanted (take a look at the Green OTG on the CB owners pics)

The WSM lid doesn't fit on the bowl with the center section removed.

The CB has a nice feature, the charcoal ring has tabs to hold the grate in place, the WSM ring sits on top of the grate. And the stainless steel waterpan is larger than the WSM.

If you have a Weber Rotisserie ring it fits on the CB, it will not fit the WSM.

For me, the Cajun Bandit mod is more functional than the WSM.

But hey-that's just me! We use the 22" WSM's at comps and love them for what they do.

Either way, you won't be disappointed in your purchase.

Back