Grilling Contests

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

If you were to balance the cost of materials vs. what you enjoy cooking, what categories would you like to see (and might entice you to enter) a grilling contest?

With expenses being what they are, would a burger category or grilled vegetables category go over better than steak?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Eric

I would like to see a full meal for a category. Turn in protein, starch, and veg all being grilled of cooked over a grill. That would be awesome, and I think the things the judges would see would be great.

Pizza is my fav as well. I think adding a burger category would be great. How about a " On a Stick " category. It can be anything you want as long as it's on a stick. It could be fun.

Pizza is my fav as well. I think adding a burger category would be great. How about a " On a Stick " category. It can be anything you want as long as it's on a stick. It could be fun.

The "on a stick" sounds like fun.

I'd go with the traditional categories like:
  • burgers
  • steaks
  • pork chops and/or sausage
  • chicken and/or chicken wings

Fatties (not cased sausage), Pork roast/tenderloins/chops, Lamb, burgers. Anything that demands/allows creativity. All grilling contests should be open garnish, no holds barred, in a clamshell styrofoam arena.

I'd like to see veal once. But that goes against the cost containment question.

Steaks are a waste of a category, as everyone @ an event is going to cook a decent steak and in no other grilling category that I can think of are turn ins nearly as identical (how many gorganzola drenched steaks got turned in @ Lake Placid last year 6?, 8? ) Steaks are most dependant upon the cut of meat. It's not a true test of the cook @ this level.

Clams/oysters/mussels are a category similar to steaks Lots of money limited options IMHO.

Pizza is what it is and fun... I guess.

Fish is fun, since we have categories like "Anything Butt", I'd really like to see an "Anything but Salmon" fish category it would keep that cost down and encourage creativity.

A veggie category should have an allowance for mushrooms. Fruit is fun also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate Pork Chop category. Might be just me. Do like Chicken wings, burgers, and fatties. Fun and different categories are always cool. Pizza is a ggod one.

Burgers, Steak, Chicken wings, fatty, maybe appetizers like abt's or something along those lines, on a stick sounds cool. Pizza could be fun, but you need a pizza stone.

Steak as a category has its merits. Some people go over the top and do drowned there steaks in gorgonzola, or onion straws or something, usually to cover up a poorly cooked steak. If its cooked right it doesnt even need garnish, it'll speak for itself.

Lets start a new rumor, is there going to be a grilling comp, instead of chili at the summer event that isnt planned yet on long Island.

I like the burgers and pizza becase it encourages creativity. A Fatty(A (minimum)ONE POUND CHUB OF MEAT), stuffed or prepared also opens up some creativity but Steaks and Fish/Seafood? The winner is....... the one with the lobster tails, Jumbo stuffed shrimp.....chilean sea bass, filet mignon, prime rib, etc.. Time and labor intensive and if your not sponsored by a seafood store or catering, the ROI just isnt worth it...

So for me, burgers, pizza, fatty, and I like the "anythign on a stick" idea too.

A wide open chefs choice like we had at Sayville makes for some interesting creations too, but the cost, both $$ and effort is in the presentation and creativeness of the dish.. combining that with OC's 'full meal' may be a nice idea.

I'd love to see an ABT category. Burgers and fatties are fun too.

I like OC Pig Ass's complete meal idea. I'd like to see any idea that gets us away from the glazed salmon, glazed pork chop cycle, either by making the category more specific ("stuffed pork loin") or based on something uncommon (best use of offal as a main ingredient). I also liked the procedure at last year's Battle of the BBQ Brethren (Sayville) where the judges came to the competitors and sat at table to eat.

Back