Knife brand selection

Well, I just ordered a Henchels 4 Star 8" Chef knife. $49.02 to my door :lol:
"Close enough" and will meet my needs.

I, and probably others, would still like to hear any advice on the "V-type" sharpening/honing stones.
I really need to take better care of my cutlery :redface:

Thanks a Million guys.

TIM

Glad you found the best tool for your needs! ...

.... as long as you do not abuse that knife, a set of ceramic rods will do a darn good job of helping maintain a sharp edge. Having the angles held fairly constant is a big help for most users who do not have time to develop expertise with stones, etc.

Enjoy!

Tim,
I have come across a Benchmade (Gold) set of three that you can check out on their site. The set is $500, but if they are anywhere near as nice as my pocket knife, this would be a deal. Other than that, it seems that the W is the best of the usual bunch.

I have a 9 and 12 ince Henkels ..... and My buddy bought the Wustof.... and I LOVE his. I Loved mine til I used his. I like the feel in the hand much better. My 12" will slice a brisket like butter.... but those Wustof were amazing.

I think Q_Egg has got it right. The ceramic rods are easier to get "close" with, if you have not or will not take time to develop the skill set necessary to do it with stones, etc. Granted, you may not get the same edge that an expert will with stones, but you can keep your blades in working condition nicely without having to spend too much time learning a new skill.

The_Kapn said:
Well, I just ordered a Henchels 4 Star 8" Chef knife. $49.02 to my door :lol:
"Close enough" and will meet my needs.

I, and probably others, would still like to hear any advice on the "V-type" sharpening/honing stones.
I really need to take better care of my cutlery :redface:

Thanks a Million guys.

TIM
I guess i should have read this post! Sounds like a good deal.

Q_Egg said:
.... here is a site for some to ponder while they decide what next to add to their collection.

http://itkitchenknife.com/j_catalog/honyaki_b1.shtml

Still looking at these, but waiting for better Lotto results.

Holy Hell! Those things had better be hand forged and folded more than 500 times to be worth that much. Just like the old Samurai Swords of old.

The "V" stones or rods are OK but liek someoen else posted before, nothing will ever beat practice and skill of using a flat stone with proper angle control. I've got a couple of Fiskar pocket "V" rods that I carry in my camp gear and used to kep one with me in my kits when I was in the field. They were good enough to keep a decent edge on a sharp kinfe but useles when it came to putting an edge on a knife that needed one.
The trouble I found with them was that they would have a tendency if the angle was too high that teh edge would actually bind at the very vertex of the "V" and actually "flatten" the "razors edge" of the knife instead of actually honing it. It was OK for my K-Bar but I wouldn't use it on my Uncle Henry pocket knife. I always carried two small pocket stones with me, one fine, one rough.

JohnMcD348 said:
Holy Hell! Those things had better be hand forged and folded more than 500 times to be worth that much. Just like the old Samurai Swords of old.
Think of it this way.......For what a set of those costs you could buy 3 Klose BYC's........

If the 'top' Sashimi chefs bruise the fish with a dull ...

... knife, they would probably be put inside a Klose BYC !! When I can tell its been bruised I'll be the first to let everyone know ..hehehe ..

JohnMcD348 said:
The "V" stones or rods are OK but liek someoen else posted before, nothing will ever beat practice and skill of using a flat stone with proper angle control. I've got a couple of Fiskar pocket "V" rods that I carry in my camp gear and used to kep one with me in my kits when I was in the field. They were good enough to keep a decent edge on a sharp kinfe but useles when it came to putting an edge on a knife that needed one.
The trouble I found with them was that they would have a tendency if the angle was too high that teh edge would actually bind at the very vertex of the "V" and actually "flatten" the "razors edge" of the knife instead of actually honing it. It was OK for my K-Bar but I wouldn't use it on my Uncle Henry pocket knife. I always carried two small pocket stones with me, one fine, one rough.

I did pretty much the same thing. I carried a stone my Dad gave me. Came from Sears and was fine on one side, rough on the other.

A buddy in my unit taught me how to really sharpen a blade using trial and error and finally whittled a couple of little wedges to place between the blade and the stone. After a few ...dozen passes muscle memory took over. It's now one of those things I could SHOW someone how to do, but I'm not articulate enough to explain it.

I used to run an internet-based cutlery retail operation.

By far the most popular sharpener I sold was the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker...
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

For kitchen knives, most of my cutting is done with a couple of Henkel Santokus, 7" & 5".

My primary chef knife and utility knives are ChefWorks brand. They're an inexpensive Chinese brand but they're NSF certified. They've worked well for me. I have them in the forged series.
http://www.chefworks.com/?page=shop...esknives&PHPSESSID=7tmttej10ndpdjv74ig0t8l550

My baby is a 9.5" Al Mar Gyuto. I had one of the very expensive Japanese Gyutos but it was difficult for me to handle with the light weight. Plus the Japanese style is to sharpen only one edge, so v-style sharpeners are a no-no. I sold it and got the Al Mar. Traditional Western style edge and a bit more heft.

So anyway, thought I'd bump this thread with some info and hope that others add to it.

Back