My UDS Build!!

Awesome drum. Excellent work. Nothing is cooler than having friends over and cooking them some BBQ on a smoker you built. That's all they will want to talk about.

On a side note, I used to live up in Schaumburg. I liked the area quite a bit.

Thanks a lot everyone!!!......., I have a friend that said why are you building that, when you can just go and buy a charbroil smoker for one $169. He didn't get it. after I was done, he said... "man can you build me one"!! Haha!!

looks exceptional. shame that you are going to get it dirty. the food that can be produced in that cooker will stun and amaze all who taste it..........

Can we get a shot of the inside, particularly the diffuser install?

Great job!!!

All I used was a pizza pan, as the diffuser, and I set a tin pan as a water pan to catch the dripping. I well take a pic tonight for you.

Nice build, not ugly, but not many are. You mind me asking what kind of paint?[/QUOTE

Thanks,
The black is high temp paint for grills, good to 1500 degrees, and
The others colors are engine paint, good to 500 degrees. My smoker will never go that high.

Looks awesome I hope myine turns out half as good, will post picks and progress when I get the parts and get started.

For mine, that I am building now, I did a big burn...then a weed burner burn...then steel wool.

I need to season it now...about to do a search for smoking a fatty?

Man I want to build one but haven't made the plunge the wife probably wouldn't be happy about another smoker build lol but I'm tempted. yours looks good, great job sanding. I found burn barrels at rural supply for $15

That's a great lookin' UDS! Did the weber lid fit perfectly or did you have to do something to the drum to make it fit?

Can we get a shot of the inside, particularly the diffuser install?

Great job!!!
If you have any ? just ask. I don't mind.

1079666_571551482884339_1000803006_n.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great lookin' UDS! Did the weber lid fit perfectly or did you have to do something to the drum to make it fit?

My Weber kettle 22.5" fits perfect on my UDS. I found an off brand lid in the trash I have made work with a little tweaking.

What did you use to sand the inside with? Also after you sanded it, what did you clean it with to remove all the residue from the sand job?

I used a wire wheel on a drill. It actually went pretty fast. Almost all of the residue, I just dump the drum and it came out. I cleaned the inside and outside with denatured alcohol until the paper towel was clean.

Back