Beef Broth vs Beef Consume

John Bowen

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Beef Broth vs Beef Consume
Okay…
Really just what is the difference???????????

They're worlds apart. Just look at recipes for consommé and a decent beef stock

I started a stew for dinner when I was at home for lunch today - I opened and poured a can of what I thought was broth but it was consomme. I could not really tell the difference so I just let it go. At first glance it seemed like it was beef broth with maybe some geletian mixed in.

I'd make a beef stock from bones, scrap cuts, onions, celery... The usual. Consommé requires a lot more meat than that and it also needs to be carefully cleared using egg white. Honestly I've never bothered making it so taste wise I couldn't go into specifics, but just looking at the recipes for both and stock making as I understand it.. I guess you could call it a stock on steroids

Thank you for the info - it seems like there will be no harm done - if anything it should add more flavor.

I wonder if it would be worth trying to add when I wrap a brisket through the stall?

Let your taste buds be the judge but I'd imagine it'd be a hell of a lot beefier tasting than regular broth so it's gotta be worth a shot! You could even inject it?

I'd just be careful of the salt content - there's usually a fair amount in stock and I'd imagine it'll be the same for consommé so mind the amount in your rub

The gelatin aspect would worry me more so than the taste in terms of how it would act as an injection liquid, but definitely worth investigating!

If it jellifies when cold then you may be able to inject more into a brisket than it'd hold with a thin injection, hmmm

Consume is supposed to be a lot beefier tasting. Ive seen a few recipes for beef injections which are 1 part Consume to 1/2part broth. Perhaps that is to liquefy the jellyness of it

I used a can of the Campbell's Beef Consomme and it did not taste any more salt than I would taste from their broth.

The instructions on the Campbell's can probably had you mix it 50/50 with water. I believe their consommé is condensed. Consommé is stronger in flavor.

Taste as you cook. You can always add water if it it overpowers the other ingredients.

CD

Back