brisket foiling methods

U

undertaker

Hey all-
I'm smoking a couple of briskets today and want to try some new methods. I've never foiled before so I want to give it a try:biggrin:. I just want to make sure that I understand what to do correctly. From searching the threads, I will smoke like normal then foil when brisket is 165 degrees. My question are:

Do I put it back on the grill after that or do I put it in a cooler?
Should I put any moppin' sauce on it before I foil?
Should I put in plastic wrap in between the brisket and the foil?

These briskets will be for slicing if that makes a difference.

1. Take the brisket to 160*-165*F.
  2. Foil it along with about a half cup of beef broth.
  3. Put it back on the smoker til the temp reaches 195*F then remove from cooker.
  4. Wrap in a couple of towels and place in a cooler for at least 1 hour and allow it to rest. (It will continue to cook and will finish while wrapped)
  5. Slice and eat.

1. Take the brisket to 160*-165*F.
  2. Foil it along with about a half cup of beef broth.
  3. Put it back on the smoker til the temp reaches 195*F then remove from cooker.
  4. Wrap in a couple of towels and place in a cooler for at least 1 hour and allow it to rest. (It will continue to cook and will finish while wrapped)
  5. Slice and eat.

I'd wrap one more time in foil before putting into the cooler...but the rest is dead on.....

I like to take them a bit higher. Say, 180 or so. I don't add any liquid but lots of folks do.

Once they are all wrapped up, I start checking for probe tender at 195. I always seem to end up with an internal temp of 205-215 before the probe slides in like a hot knife in a tub of butter.

after wrapping it I make sure that when it gos back on the cooker that it is fat side up this way the meat sits in all of those juices

Now you did it....Everyone get out your de-coder.

C'mon now Sir Cliff, I was speaking merely on the Butcher paper. Not wax paper, not parchment paper, but Butcher paper.

Not that hard to imagine with my quote from the Funkster.

Side note.. I have never foiled a brisket, only ribs once...:biggrin:

C'mon now Sir Cliff, I was speaking merely on the Butcher paper. Not wax paper, not parchment paper, but Butcher paper.

Not that hard to imagine with my quote from the Funkster.

Side note.. I have never foiled a brisket, only ribs once...:biggrin:

Should have mentioed that the de-coder would be for the new Funky brisket video.:-D

While on the grill or after?
Wouldn't it burn on the grill?
Seep through in the cooler?
With broth or without?

Pink butcher paper
yes while on the grill
no it won't burn
you can wrap in foil over the paper to put in cooler
without broth

Attachments

• DSC02729.jpg
    DSC02729.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC02730.jpg
    DSC02730.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 97
Wasn't thinking, here is the results. This was my first try with brisket and butcher paper. Not quite the bark I wanted, but good and tender.

Attachments

• DSC02731.jpg
    DSC02731.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC02733.jpg
    DSC02733.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 53
Back