1 t. corriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator
while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced water over
the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and
mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are
done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Bob Wills
music and Lone Star Beer on the side.

One of my favorite hot links!! There is no doubt about why they are called HOT. That version has been tickled with just a smidge from the original...the beef was omitted (these are Texas hot links) and the grinding was changed to fine.

(One thing I do is let the mixed meat rest overnight before stuffing)

Bigwheel's World Famous Genuine Texas Hotlinks
Posted by Bigwheel on The BBQ Forum & Pit Talk Forum

5 pounds boston butt
2 pounds lean beef
1 bottle cold beer
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons ground corriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons ground thyme
6 teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick
1 teaspoon MSG

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meats into grinder sized pieces. Dump the spiced beer on the cut meat and mix it up good. Run spiced meat mixture through the grinder coarse or medium plate and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Wash it down with ice cold beer.

Both versions of this recipe call for Tender Quick, but the notes don't mention anything about a "curing" time. What purpose does the Tender Quick serve?

JimT

JimT said:
Both versions of this recipe call for Tender Quick, but the notes don't mention anything about a "curing" time. What purpose does the Tender Quick serve?

JimT

Jim,

Tenderquick was developed for the home cook so we would not have to fool around with the measuring accuracy associated with nitrates, nitrites or pink salts. It is a fast cure and tenderizer and is used when cold smoking or when you desire the texture, flavor and color it imparts when hot smoking. I use it is some sausages, and in my brines when smoking turkey breasts or whole birds.

Here is an excellent article by Joe Ames who has The Ingredient Store.

http://new.cbbqa.com/articles/TenderQuick.html

thirdeye said:
Jim,

Tenderquick was developed for the home cook so we would not have to fool around with the measuring accuracy associated with nitrates, nitrites or pink salts. It is a fast cure and tenderizer and is used when cold smoking or when you desire the texture, flavor and color it imparts when hot smoking. I use it is some sausages, and in my brines when smoking turkey breasts or whole birds.

Good reference 3rdI. Some of us pay attention.

thirdeye said:
Jim,

hey Jim,
thanks for the link..great explanation and lots of other interesting facts there too!

boatnut said:
hey Jim,
thanks for the link..great explanation and lots of other interesting facts there too!

It was Thirdeye that provided the link.

Thanks Thirdeye!!!

JimT

One of my favorite hot links!! There is no doubt about why they are called HOT. That version has been tickled with just a smidge from the original...the beef was omitted (these are Texas hot links) and the grinding was changed to fine.

(One thing I do is let the mixed meat rest overnight before stuffing)

Bigwheel's World Famous Genuine Texas Hotlinks
Posted by Bigwheel on The BBQ Forum & Pit Talk Forum

5 pounds boston butt
2 pounds lean beef
1 bottle cold beer
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons ground corriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons ground thyme
6 teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick
1 teaspoon MSG

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meats into grinder sized pieces. Dump the spiced beer on the cut meat and mix it up good. Run spiced meat mixture through the grinder coarse or medium plate and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Wash it down with ice cold beer.

I made up a batch yesterday afternoon. Let sit overnight, ground and stuffed this morning. Made a couple of patties to fry up for a sample. WOW! I've made a lot of sausage, this is probably going to become my new favorite. It's got heat and lots of flavor. Thanks.

Kevin, looks like you may need more than ONE bottle of beer. May need to drink the other 5 from the sixpack to wash it down. looks good. im gonna have to try this.

Kevin, looks like you may need more than ONE bottle of beer. May need to drink the other 5 from the sixpack to wash it down. looks good. im gonna have to try this.

Yeh, I just ate about a 1/4 pound patty and I'm seriously thinking about a beer, it's only 10:00 AM.

I may have to try these hot links sometime. That said, we have a bunch invested into cookoffs at this time and I am not sure I need to invest into a sausage grinder....my problem is, I always have to spend for the top dollar items and that sets me back a bit and cuts into my other purchases.

I made up a batch yesterday afternoon. Let sit overnight, ground and stuffed this morning. Made a couple of patties to fry up for a sample. WOW! I've made a lot of sausage, this is probably going to become my new favorite. It's got heat and lots of flavor. Thanks.

Kevin,

Are you stuffing it all? Do you plan on making a couple of fatties with some, it's good that way too?

Kevin,

Are you stuffing it all? Do you plan on making a couple of fatties with some, it's good that way too?

Already stuffed it all. More sausage making going on today though. If I don't run out of enthusiasm I may make up another batch. A fatty or two is a great idea.

Back