Questions about what you can have on site

T

trevthebear

In September I will be entering my first contest with my own team and I have a question about what I can have in my area. I was thinking of brining my colman camping stove or a simular type so I could heat up sauces or whip up some breakfast is haveing a stove like that allowed at KCBS contests?

i use a turkey frying burner at comps so i would say yes but it wouldn't hurt to ask the organizer.

We bring an electric 2 burner hot plate & a single burner propane stove, both are in the trailer. You need hot water for clean up and we heat sauces in the cookers. The answer to your question is yes you can use them as long as you don't cook your entries on them.

You can bring whatever you want.

Don't get caught cooking your turn-in meat on anything that isn't a charcoal, wood or pellet burner and you'll be fine.

Yes, it is allowed. As stated, don't cook your meat on that stove or with anything other than what is allowed in the KCBS rules and you'll be fine.

yes, allowed.

just a note, be very wary of where that pan of sauce is if you dunk your meat into it before boxing.

i.e., don't let it still be on the coleman stove. that's a DQ.

yes, allowed.

just a note, be very wary of where that pan of sauce is if you dunk your meat into it before boxing.

i.e., don't let it still be on the coleman stove. that's a DQ.

Yup. Perfectly legal to:
  • Heat sauces using your camp stove
  • Heat water for washing dishes, hands, or your car :becky:
  • Pre-heat pans you are going to put meat in
  • Heat hot water to put into a cooler to pre-heat it for holding warm items
Not legal to have heat from the stove directly applied to anything you are cooking. Presumably warm sauce is not hot enough to cook your meat, but warming a liquid with the intention of cooking with it (for example sous-vide cooking) is not permitted.

I'm saying this as just one guy who cooks KCBS comps once a year or so: I wouldn't have any meat in the sauce pan while it was being heated by anything other than wood, charcoal or pellets.

My 2 cents only

"Heat water for washing dishes, hands, or your car"

Hmmm, never thought about that but think I just found a role for the guy that has been itching to help out our team! :idea:

Anyway, we used a cooktop and a turkey fryer base to speed light charcoal.

Back