Advice needed ... Boston Butt was dry.

coastrat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm new to Kamado cooking (previous smokers had water pan) and my 1st pulled pork was drier than expected. I injected as usual, smoked at approx 265 for 6 hours until internal temp hit 205. Looks and tastes great, but not as juicy as my vertical smoker produced.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336399240.981634.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many pounds was this butt? I know in my experience if you take them right off the smoker and start cutting into them and trying to taste test them it will taste dry. But when you cooler them for a few hours the juice really redistributes and makes it taste better.... just my 2 cents

Looks like you didn't use a heat difuser. Maybe the direct heat dried it out more than normal.

agree with first two comments. keep it indirect and allow a rest period. having that probe right over the coals may have affected its performance as well

Thanks everyone. Please tell me more about this heat diffuser... Where do I get one?

Depends on your grill, for the egg you can buy them, I build mine and raised my grate to felt level in the same process. Got a 15" grate and attached (4) 1/2" x 4" bolts to it. wrapped my initial grate in aluminum foil and sat the new grate with the bolts attached to it on top so the new grate set up 4". works good enough for me, you can poke a few holes in the foil too if you want, or if you can find a 15" pizza pan with small holes in it that works too.

Without a heat diffuser, you can wrap the butt in foil (halfway through cook) put a lil apple juice in there maybe even a shot of rum! At least thats what I do when cooking directly over coals...

Going to use the foil + juice technique. Have always done that with my old smoker and it worked every time.

Still need a diffuser, what kind of Kamado do you have?

You can always go the Ceramic Grill store online and see what they have.

Still need a diffuser, what kind of Kamado do you have?

You can always go the Ceramic Grill store online and see what they have.

Roger that. My wife is planning to get me a diffuser and damper cap for father's day. It's a vintage Imperial Kamado (early 90s) that I restored.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336606879.347975.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336606896.844780.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336606918.729188.jpg

Back