BBQ Brethren "Mini" Throwdown

As much fun as I'm having with the Smokey Joe / Tamale Pot / Tall Boy Smoker mod I built last month, there is no way I'm passing on this Throwdown. I've Been cooking on it so much, a couple of days ago Mrs ~t~ actually asked "You're not going to sell the Eggs are you?" :laugh:

DSC02573aaa.jpg

Anyways, for this Throwdown, I broke out the big guns..... and a lot of mini things. A mini smoker with a mini basket, started with a mini torch, to cook some mini tip strips, along with some mini tomatoes (from my mini garden) in some mini cups. The green stuff in the mater cups is some homemade pesto, and at the end they got topped with parm.

DSC02571aaa.jpg

DSC02576aaa.jpg

DSC02578aaa.jpg

DSC02584aaa.jpg

DSC02599aaa.jpg

Chris ......... this last pit shot is the entry photo.

DSC02595aaaa.jpg

Very nice. I also enjoy the thought of a tamale pot on a Smokey Joe as a "Pit" :thumb:

G'Day Bruces'! :becky:

Dusted off the WGA last night when I got home. I found my wife had prepared some chicken skewers!
DSC_0148.jpg

After I picked myself up off the floor from surprise, I decided it was a perfect impromptu opportunity to enter this TD! So, I set the WGA up on Blue Lou's bench
DSC_0150.jpg

Stacked indirect for about 10 minutes
DSC_0154.jpg

Basted them with some of this stuff!
DSC_0155.jpg

Then I spread out the charcoal and let them colour up a bit.
DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

I plated one dish up special for this "Mini" TD. Two Skewers over some freshly fried Tofu. Dressed with Ponzu sauce, sesame sauce, coriander and Japanese Sanshu Pepper... This was my "Mini" dinner on a massive plate. And very tasty and healthy too!
DSC_0165.jpg

This one for the TD Pic Chris!
DSC_0167.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Bill

First deguerre does pork chops, and now SmokinAusie does skewers.

Double-deguerred. :doh:

Oh, well, I already bought the chit for mine, and they are different -- only one ingredient in common. Just let it be known that I did buy my chit before the Ausie posted his entry -- and I have the receipt to prove it. I'm a dog, not a copy cat. :becky:

CD

I decided to do a little bit of Italian-American street food, but not the way it is normally done.

Sausage and peppers is a traditional working man's food, that I love. It is usually cooked in a big fry pan, but I figured it could be done on my Smokey Joe, and taste mighty fine. Win or lose, this is the best tasting throwdown entry I have submitted, so far.

I took some mild Italian sausage, some red and yellow bell peppers, and some yellow cooking onion, and stuck it on skewers to make it easy to manage on the Smokey Joe. The skewers were just a means to an end. They just made it easier to cook on a grill. I coated the meat and veggies with olive oil, and sprinkled it with finely chopped fresh oregano and basil from my garden, and some fresh ground black pepper.

I grilled it, and put it in a bowl all by itself. Hey, it's street food.

Here is a shot of the skewers before cooking, on the grill, and the money shot in a plain white bowl -- right before I devoured it.

I will never do sausage and peppers in a skillet again. This is way better. The little bit of grilling char makes a big difference. The flavors were way more pronounced than when I do the same dish on the stove in a skillet. Grilling rocks!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

CD

Good looking grub CD :thumb:

Just ordered a SJG. Hope it gets here by tomorrow :tsk:

Last edited:
Here is my entry for the MINI throwdown.

I picked up some Hatch chili peppers.

picture.php

I started by roasting the peppers to remove the skins.

picture.php

Once the peppers were nicely charred I put them in a sealed container to rest. Then, I put on some olive oil, onions, and garlic.

picture.php

When the onions and garlic had cooked for a little while I added the ground beef and the 1st seasoning dump of some chili powder, oregano, and chervil. I prefer to use Mexican oregano but I can't find it in any stores in my town anymore.

picture.php

Once the meat had browned, I added some pureed San Marzano tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, and some beef broth.

picture.php

I let it simmer while I skinned the peppers, removed the seeds and chopped them. Then, I added them to the pot.

picture.php

I let the pot continue to simmer. About 30 minutes before finishing the cook, I added another dump of seasonings that included some Hatch chili powder.

picture.php

When the chili was ready, I covered the dutch oven and set it aside. Then, I made some corn cakes.

picture.php

And, here is the finished dish. It was rich, spicy, and very good, if I do say so myself.

Hatch Chili con Carne with Beans

picture.php

Last edited:
That's a good looking bowl of chili. It's still too hot here for chili, so I'm gonna have to remember that one for January. :thumb:

CD

Back