• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vegan BBQ...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Yep...that's what it says...:tsk: Sooo...I've been asked if I offer any "Vegan" choices on my menu...my first thought was ...ummm...no...it's BBQ. But then the dude on my other shoulder (the one without the horns) was thinking...hmmm...this is Seattle...this is Wine Country Q...there are a lot of Vegans up here...I am catering to a more health conscience clientèle (for the most part)...what the hec! :becky:

I'm hoping to hear from some of you more experienced folks who may deal with this all the time. For now I'm thinking smoked nuts, cheeses, grilled portabella mushrooms, grilled fruits and veggies...am I missing anything?

Cheers! :cool:

JD

Nope I think you are right on track just see to it that you have a grill/ smoker dedicated to vegan food only and believe me they will ask. The problem is although vegans often complain that attending a BBQ is not for them as they are not taken into consideration tends to keep the numbers low.

It may be an idea to actually join one of their local forums and present the ideal to them about vending/supporting one of their events. Could be a great money maker and I think they would buy from you simply as though they see it as another notch i the vegan belt. What's there to loose?

Veganism

Vegans eat all sorts of plant foods - fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, seeds, fungi - and avoid foods made from dead or living animals - meat, eggs, milk, milk derivatives such as cheese and yogurt, or honey. Someone who has not encountered veganism before will ask, ‘Well, what DO you eat?’ The only non-animal foods a meat-eater tends to come across are the vegetables that accompany their meals. However, there is a wide variety of vegan foods with a diversity of flavours and textures. The important point to grasp is that going vegan is not just taking vegetarianism a step further. Going vegetarian tends to involve simply removing meat from the diet and abstaining from products that contain slaughterhouse products. Becoming a vegan, on the other hand, is a very different process where one adopts a whole new cuisine and which touches every area of life.

Check out this site for some information and recipes.. http://www.simpleveganrecipes.co.uk/ I have referred to it when there were vegans attending weddings we have catered.

Oh one more thing..DON'T be flying a banner or sporting a cap and T-shirt with animals on it. lol

There is no such thing as Vegan slow smoked meats cooked over a live fire, for a long time, until tender :crazy::laugh:

Sorry, had to do that. The important thing is that Vegans do not use any meat products at all. Dr. KY is also correct that most Vegans will not eat any food cooked on a cooking device that also cooked meat, eggs or dairy. I consider making good vegan food to be one of the toughest challenges there is.

I like to use nut butters and nut flours for building body and texture in food. Almond and hazelnut mostly. Many of the Vegans I know also believe they cannot eat gluten.

I will tend to sweeten with agave nectar and maple syrup for additional flavor.

Grains and seeds such as beans, quinoa, barley and bulghur will be your friends for salads.

For grilling, mushrooms, eggplant and zuchinni are the defacto standard for grilling without meat. If you want to wow folks, I really recommend you try making your own veggie burgers, they can be incredible. Also, leave your preconceptions behind and seek out quality fresh tofu, use it like you would chicken in terms of marinades and smoking, you will find it can be really good.

Look to Asian flavor profiles, as these cultures have long traditions of Vegan or Vegetarian diets and the flavors have been developed for that use.

I've done the stuffed 'turds' vegan, smoked mushrooms a bit chopped them and mixed them with tapenade and then stuffed the peppers with that. No bacon wrapping just brushed with some oil for moisture. The folks that ate them loved them.

I used the mini bell peppers by the way, not the jalapenos.

There is a recipe out there for vegan BBQ ribs, they are surprisingly tasty, although not really like ribs.

We have a Southwest Salad that vegans love
I also have a grilled boneless skinless thigh that
we can add to it for meat eaters

Our last couple of Friday Night Dates have been to
http://www.nativefoods.com/
a vegan place in Palm Desert
The Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger is GREAT
and vegan

I think the biggest thing you'll have to remember is for most hardcore vegans you're going to have to have grills and other cooking utensils that have never been used to cook meat on.

I think the biggest thing you'll have to remember is for most hardcore vegans you're going to have to have grills and other cooking utensils that have never been used to cook meat on.

If the event were large enough, and the potential for profit is there, wouldn't this warrant the purchase of a couple spanking new 22 1/2" OTS's?:thumb:

If the event were large enough, and the potential for profit is there, wouldn't this warrant the purchase of a couple spanking new 22 1/2" OTS's?:thumb:

Any excuse for a new toy! :becky: This is for a church event that will "include" Vegans...perhaps 75-100 people...I think I can squeeze out enough profit for a dedicated grill...I might even spring for a gold...:thumb:

Just out of curiosity, would it not be acceptable if the grates were run through say a cleaning cycle in an oven and then washed afterwards, which should put them back pretty much to their original state? By the above logic, are you saying that you can't use an oven that has had meat cooked in it, or is it just that meat HAS touched the grate. So in that theory, pots, spoons, etc, even if cleaned and sanitized can't be used?

Just wondering, not roughing up any feathers. Regardless, glad I live in the Midwest where we don't have much of this! Would drive me crazy. No wonder everything is more expensive where the crazies live!!! :wink:

Nthole, it would not be good enough for some. It comes down to how specific the vegan you are dealing with. There are some that are absolute that they can be no possible comingling with animal products. Most are not that bad, many will even suffer through a meat centric meal politely. But there are a few who will fuss.

Any excuse for a new toy! :becky: This is for a church event that will "include" Vegans...perhaps 75-100 people...I think I can squeeze out enough profit for a dedicated grill...I might even spring for a gold...:thumb:

Vegans...church group....SO - uh who is the Pope of Veganism these days? I am a little out of touch....:laugh: You folks on the Left coast have some "different" philosophies than we hill-billies in the Southeast are familiar with.

But, from deductive reasoning, I thought beef *is* a vegatable....If "you are what you eat" applies, then - it follows:

Cow eats grass, grain and hay - all vegatable, so - cow = vegatable!:becky:
Good Luck on the cook - it sounds like a challenge - but a good learning experience too.

T

I feel for you - most BBQ caterers would have thrown down the gauntlet and never given this a second thought. Your a good man JD - who knows, you may even convert a few vegans into carnivores in the process :-D

Back