Judge our boxes - our first Pro comp!

• Thread starter Weiss Mountain Smoke
  • Start date
W

Weiss Mountain Smoke

Here are pics of our chickin, pork, and brisket turn-in boxes at pickin in the panhandle in Hedgesville, WV last weekend...our first pro comp. I guess we got carried away preparing our rib box b/c we forgot to take a picture :roll: What do you all think? Appreciate any feedback/criticism. Really lookin forward to the next comp!

Thanks...

Attachments

• Pickin_Chicken.jpg
    Pickin_Chicken.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Pickin_Pork.jpg
    Pickin_Pork.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 349
  • Pickin_Brisket.jpg
    Pickin_Brisket.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 348
Parsley is great. Turn the chicken front to back in stead of side to side and make it a little more uniform in size. The pork looks good but needs color (bark)! Add some burnt ends and some bark to the brisket and you're there!

I'd give a 7-8 for each.

Agree with butts, the parsley is perfect, not too much (as can be seen in many, looks
like they're trying to hide something), and not too little; nice frame.

Chicken as uniform size as possible helps. Using this same chicken, all front to
back would've helped a little, but honestly this looks pretty darned good to me.

Really nice arrangement of the pork, however I've said to others "it looks dead".
What I mean by that is exactly what butts said, it needs color (aka. bark) and
I'd like to see a little more smoke ring.

The brisket, nice lookin' smoke ring, excellent presentation/arrangement. I dont think
it HAS to have burnt ends, but certainly that would help. In this case, with 7 nice
sized pieces, you'd have to cram burnt ends in there and probably would've taken
away from presentation. I know this is easier said that done, but if you can work on
getting the knife marks to disappear, that would help. Different knife helps. I'm
currently using a bread slicer that's as sharp as a razor. We'll use that and we also
have a new granton slicer that we're going to try shortly.

Otherwise, honestly, these looked really nice. Thanks for the pics.

For the first comp, they are outstanding. What team name were you?

If it didnt come through in my earlier post (which was being critical), I too wish my
first turn-ins looked this wonderful. Really, GREAT JOB.

All great critques here but remember these are competitors looking to make your box perfect. I'm sure we all would be happy to have you build a box for us. Great putting green.

Your chicken box if you'd decided to not use garnish:

Pickin_Chicken2.jpg

I would suspect that he would not lay them in there the same way without garnish. You can make an all meat box look very nice.....you just have to plan on doing it that way.

Exactly. Garnish hides sins... That, and sans color contrast, different things are
then highlighted. Might be good, might be bad. My only point, really, is that no
matter how much we think that a garnish doesn't have any effect on the scoring,
there is no way for it not to have an effect, even if it's ever-so-slight. Therefore,
something else is taken into account, and whatever it is/was, it wasn't BBQ.

Beautiful putting greens. May be your first comp, but it sure wasn't your first attempt at making boxes:-D

The pork is so light it looks more like loin than butt.:confused: I've never seen a slice of any of the butts I cooked look that white.

Based sole on the photos three 7's. Maybe in person a higher score, but the color of the meats looked "washed out".

The parsley also scared me that it might be contaminated.

7 - 5 - 7
chicken looks good, very nice color
pork looks pale, need a lot more color
brisket looks good a little over cooked if you ask me from looks, needs some shine.

I

Great feedback, thank you all. Soona fter we turned in our last box and were lookin back on the 2 hours that seemed to go by in about 15 minutes, we quickly regretted not puttin in any bark in the pork box. Wont make that mistake again!

Team name is The Grateful Pig, and we will be at Valley Smokin' in Front Royal VA for round 2. We had such a great time at our first comp and hope to be able to meet more folks at the next one. It’s great that everyone is willing to share their knowledge (mostly everyone:wink:). Here are the actual appearance scores we received at Pickin’.

Chix - 9-7-9-8-7-7

Pork - 8-6-8-9-5-8

Brisket - 8-7-7-7-9-9

Great feedback, thank you all. Soona fter we turned in our last box and were lookin back on the 2 hours that seemed to go by in about 15 minutes, we quickly regretted not puttin in any bark in the pork box. Wont make that mistake again!
Hook...line...and sinker...

Enjoy the future comps...I wish why job was recruiting new comp teams!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Weise Mtn Smoke, Sorry I used your pics in my example. I honestly thought to
myself, those greens dont get much better. BTW, A+ for your first cookoff! Truly,
I wish my first looked NEARLY that nice. Anyway, I think I made my point. I really
wanted people to see if, in their eye, they could honest score those exactly the
same without hesitation or reservation. I'm a MIM/MBA certified judge and have
judged more than 60 cookoffs since 2005. I'm about as critical and honest as they
get, and frankly to me the contrast in color highlighted certain things in your box,
and without the green frame other things were more noticable. I'd have given
probably an 8 on the initial one, and probably a 7 on the modified no-greenery
pick, as I saw more puddling of sauce and the sauce inconsistency showed much
more. That, and they weren't that deep rich red/burgundy that we're rather
accustomed to. Not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but not heaven
on earth (9).

;-)

Thanks for allowing me to borrow your pics.

Back