Which part of the brisket is best?

I was thinking of doing my first brisket in the next couple of weeks, bu t am not sure that I want to do a whole packer. If I was to only do a smaller piece, would the brethren recommend doing the flat or the point?

Brisket is a brisket is a brisket...it all tastes like brisket...you're gonna get different textures in the flat than the point because it's leaner. Go with what you can find on sale...it's all up to the smoker...and the smokee...IMHO! :biggrin:

For only 1 piece, the point if you can find one. I've never seen one for sale myself. I recommend full pakcers, but you asked which of the two pieces....so point.

For only 1 piece, the point if you can find one. I've never seen one for sale myself. I recommend full pakcers, but you asked which of the two pieces....so point.

That brings up a ? What the hell do they do with the points? Into the grinder I guess.

Damn straight.

*does brisket dance*
booty.gif

Shake your money maker....................:-D

I'd do the whole thing, a Packer. That is the only way to learn these things.
Point or Flat, depends on who you ask. This is an "There is an ass for every seat" sort question.
I prefer the Point but many of my friends like the Flat.
Now that I think about it....
most Women prefer the Flat. Something about the fat in the Point or some such nonsense.
I think the Point is juicer and has a much better flavor.:p

Weiser

Hey, that brisket made money for me this last weekend!

Our Albertson's carries brisket points packaged separately for sale. Don't you know I've got a couple in the freezer.

:lol:

I don't think I've ever seen a point only for sale.

I think the point is best chopped in sandwhiches.The flat is better just sliced.

I'd reccomend doing the whole packer. Smoking brisket in itself is more touchy than ribs, pork or chicken because of the much smaller(IMO) window between tasty...and dry.

By smoking a whole packer, you'll be 'almost' guaranteed to get some wicked slices out of the whole deal without dealing with leather if you leave it on a bit longer than you expected. Also, you'll recognize the different parts of the cut and how to trim/slice for later projects.

All of that said...every brisket I've put on the smoker is much more different than any rack of ribs or pork butt I've ever encountered. It's much more by feel and experience than by temperature in what I've gathered. I can give a window of 15 minutes at most of when I take ribs off....brisket, not so much. As a reference, when I get a pit up to temp...a rack of ribs come off between 5 and 5.5 hours. Brisket....depending on the very varying weight and build of the meat could be hours of difference.

Again, just my opinion...but why not start at the top?! ;-)

Do a Packer... You get the best of both worlds!!! You got slices off of both and if you save some of the point you've got burnt ends!

Damn straight.

*does brisket dance*
booty.gif
Cute tushy there Diva!

That brings up a ? What the hell do they do with the points? Into the grinder I guess.
Bob, we have to break you of this nasty habit of ruining a great cut of meat!

Do a Packer... You get the best of both worlds!!! You got slices off of both and if you save some of the point you've got burnt ends!

Cute tushy there Diva!

Bob, we have to break you of this nasty habit of ruining a great cut of meat!

LOL!! Really though, I see flats all the time. Do any of you all ever find just the points for sale? I've never seen just the point, if I did, I'd buy them up. Packers really are the way to go though. Best of both worlds right there.
Dive--what you doing looking at Diva's tush?:shock:

LOL!! Really though, I see flats all the time. Do any of you all ever find just the points for sale? I've never seen just the point, if I did, I'd buy them up. Packers really are the way to go though. Best of both worlds right there.
You had me worried Bob! No, I never find just points... My guess is that they are ground up for hamburger... Very unfortunate...

In reality, I normally split Packers because there is ALWAYS a call for burnt ends from my customers... By spliting them, I'm able to get the rub "in all the right places".

Dive--what you doing looking at Diva's tush?:shock:

Hey, just because I'm spoken for, I'm not dead!

Found it interesting that Diva has bought points only in her neck of the woods. Maybe it's a regional thing. Lately, I've been messing around with the fat cap up and down theories. Can't really say I've found much advantage over one vs the other. Although the last few with cap down have cooked up nicer. I did a couple a while back for a block party in which I separted flats and points. I really saw the advantage there and am liking this procedure. Especially for the burnt ends. And also because you can still leave a good fat cap on the point when you do the separating as opposed to buying a trimmed flat.
Gonna be real interesting to see all the slabs o' chest that get entered into the next Throwdown!!:-D

Okay....we're half way through the 3rd page and no pron :?: :?: :?:
I like the part right at the junction between the point and the flat...it's the best of both worlds. :biggrin:

d7389712.jpg

Okay....we're half way through the 3rd page and no pron :?: :?: :?:
I like the part right at the junction between the point and the flat...it's the best of both worlds. :biggrin:

d7389712.jpg

Isn't that what some folks call "tain't"...:twisted: Nice brisky btw...:wink:

A lot of points end up as corned beef in a cryovac pack.

I would use the point, chopped, for sandwiches, and the flat, sliced, for serving on a plate with sides.

I did a couple a while back for a block party in which I separted flats and points. I really saw the advantage there and am liking this procedure. Especially for the burnt ends. And also because you can still leave a good fat cap on the point when you do the separating as opposed to buying a trimmed flat.
I really like to seperate the point from the flat... You get great color and flavoring on all the meat....
DSCF2491.jpg

Slices like this....
DSCF2243.jpg

And a burnt ends like this...
DSCF2509.jpg

(That enough pron????)

Back