Smitty’s Pellet Pooper Ponderings

Sooo-what's the next gadget?

Fishing Stuff........

uqfXVIGl.jpg

I've heard people say the auger is loud too. Mine on the other hand is very quiet, I can be on the couch about 12 feet from the grill on the deck and not hear it. Even next to it it's not loud at all.

Is the auger loud? Some of the reviews said "quite loud".

It sounds like a 12v DC brushed motor running a gear reduction drive. Compared to the pretty much silent 110v AC one on my Jim Bowie, I suppose one could say it's "loud". I'll get my dB meter out later today and take a measurement. It's certainly not going to chase anyone away when it feeds pellets.

If the pellet cookers were a tad cheaper, I'd probably have taken the plunge.

The hype was very intoxicating. There always seems to be some new gadget or thingy to whip us into a frenzy. The urge to open the wallet and become one of the fold is very real.

Sooo-what's the next gadget?
New%20Weber%20MasterTouch%20Premium%20E5775.jpg

I don’t know the definition of loud. I can’t hear it in the house. I can’t hear it around the corner of the house. It’s not as quiet as lump or briquettes :-D

BUT... you can hear it. The auger turns and the fan “pants”. It kind of gets in a rhythm and is a calming background noise. After a while you don’t notice it until it quits.

There are multiple amateur YouTube videos on this particular cooker. I’ve not had a single second of buyers remorse. I’ve not experienced all the “what if” scenarios that get bantered about.

In some ways I’m enjoying working with three cookers instead of 6. I’ve still got multiple new ones in storage. Weber Premium Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe, Cobb Cooker WGA-Gas, Lodge Sportsman Hibachi, Portable Single Burner Gas skillet cooker. So I’m not worried about a power outage.

Or like our friend cowgirl said in a past thread-“I’ve got a shovel and a match” (or close)

I don’t know the definition of loud. I can’t hear it in the house. I can’t hear it around the corner of the house. It’s not as quiet as lump or briquettes :-D

BUT... you can hear it. The auger turns and the fan “pants”. It kind of gets in a rhythm and is a calming background noise. After a while you don’t notice it until it quits.

There are multiple amateur YouTube videos on this particular cooker. I’ve not had a single second of buyers remorse. I’ve not experienced all the “what if” scenarios that get bantered about.

In some ways I’m enjoying working with three cookers instead of 6. I’ve still got multiple new ones in storage. Weber Premium Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe, Cobb Cooker WGA-Gas, Lodge Sportsman Hibachi, Portable Single Burner Gas skillet cooker. So I’m not worried about a power outage.

Or like our friend cowgirl said in a past thread-“I’ve got a shovel and a match” (or close)

With the pitbosses being around the same price at walmart for a larger unit - would you still recommend the crockett over it?

I get the pellet itch from time to time and lowes/walmart never clearance anything.

Appreciate the responses. Looking at the little pellet. I've got plenty of big cookers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With the pitbosses being around the same price at walmart for a larger unit - would you still recommend the crockett over it?

I get the pellet itch from time to time and lowes/walmart never clearance anything.

I’m sorry, I just don’t know. The only pellet cooker I’ve used is my own. Several friends have had the bigger Pitboss-Traegers-GMG etc
They all like them. At least I’ve never heard them complain.

It does seem when you see small pellet cookers ranked, GMG-DC is pretty well thought of.

The general thought is to buy the biggest cooker with the most real estate you think you’ll need-then go one size bigger.

I did a 180 with that process.

I love to cook. I love to cook often. I was/am tiring of leftovers. So now I cook a small shoulder-a single rack of ribs etc. My Primo Oval XL can handle bigger cooks. It’s great for double smoking or reheat of a meal. Today’s cook was an 8# Boston Butt and I used the Primo due to severe weather being forecast.

There are moving parts electrical parts- things can happen. So far they haven’t.

Is the auger loud? Some of the reviews said "quite loud".

Compared to my Memphis and yoder, My DC is ridiculously loud when the auger is turning...loud enough I contacted them and they sent me a new auger motor assembly (haven’t installed yet).

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m thinking expectation should be tempered by cost. Again, it’s not the perfect cooker for every situation. I wouldn’t want it to be my only cooker. It’s small. But at $339 delivered it fills a spot quite nicely in our lives. The warranty is two years. I promise I will my moneys worth.

I picked up a Camp Chef SmokePro SE last year from Walmart for $180.00 on clearance after labor day (I bet there are still some pellet smokers on clearance right now). Regular price was $344. I used the Walmart App and checked the price at stores all around me. I had to go across town to find one at that price.

I would look at the price on the app for the Pellet smoker you want, and look for it at several stores, only for in stock items. The web price does not go down.

I’ll be watching PJTexas results..........:loco:
My decision was somewhat cosmetic. Without an exhaust stack i thought the cooker would get smoke stained but now that i seen mine run a few times i think it would be ok. I can try to bring it to the bash if you want to see it in person. Cooking a meatloaf on the Smoke Daddy right now.

My decision was somewhat cosmetic. Without an exhaust stack i thought the cooker would get smoke stained but now that i seen mine run a few times i think it would be ok. I can try to bring it to the bash if you want to see it in person. Cooking a meatloaf on the Smoke Daddy right now.

I think you should bring it. I’m sure there are others besides me that would like to check it out .
We could do some Delicious Blooming Spamions in it. :becky:

Back