Pit Barrel Cook 1st ever run with PRON

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I scored a PBC last night.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2577483

Fired up the PBC for the first time tonight. This thing is lovely:biggrin1:

I had some leftover flap steak and pork shoulder from Saturday so I cut them into cubes. I also had these skewers laying around and not being used.

20130805_191359.jpg

20130805_191511.jpg

Sooooo I thought kabobs on the PBC.:becky: Put the potatoes on the ends to keep the meat from possibly falling plus who doesnt like grilled taters.

20130805_193149.jpg

Started the fire and hung the meat

20130805_194046.jpg

20130805_194052.jpg

On it went for 25 minutes exactly

20130805_194658.jpg

Dinner served

20130805_201355.jpg

Even the potato was done and being so close to the fire didn't burn

20130805_201608.jpg

Even some left over charcoal after I closed the bottom vent to test air tightness. Just for test purposes.

20130805_210220.jpg

I'm impressed. Hope y'all enjoyed. I know I did. Tender beef and tender pork shoulder in 25 farkin mins. Exactly what I was hoping for.

I love my PBC too! Good looking grub there. I'd hit a plate! You gave us all a great idea with those skewers!

Bob

interesting idea, looks like some experimentation is in order:idea:!

KC

Great idea with the skewers. Might be my attempt with some veggies and meat.

What do you mean close bottom vent?

Great idea with the skewers. Might be my attempt with some veggies and meat.

What do you mean close bottom vent?

I meant that I loosened the screw and closed the bottom air intake vent. Def try the veggies and meat, basically shish kabob. I know itll come out awesome on the PBC after I did my test plus a potato at the end will prevent meat and softer veggies from falling off. You can also skewer a large piece of meat and grill it.

Understand

Pit Barrel Cooker- we that have them understand. Great job with the skewers. I've experimented with various things but never the factory altitude bottom vent setting. I just keep on cooking.

Last edited:
I've always heard there's no stupid questions so here's a "noob" question ..... What's the difference in a PBC vs UDS ?

Us vs Them

Already built-UDS you build
Ready to cook-UDS burn scrape sandblast
PBC 30 gallon-UDS 55 gallon
New food safe drum-UDS roll dice on contents
Horse shoe handles-UDS garage door handles
Horse shoe ring base-UDS fire bricks or bare ground
24/7 customer support/UDS ?????
$$support Veteran American Co/UDS ???

I could go on. But you get the idea. I like the 30 gallon drum. My wife can easily move it around. Guys/Gals love their UDS. Guys/Gals love their PBC's.
I wouldn't call it an Apples Oranges comparison. More of a similarly different comparison. As long as there is fire-meat and beer it's going to be a great day on the patio.

I've always heard there's no stupid questions so here's a "noob" question ..... What's the difference in a PBC vs UDS ?

LOL!! Let's not turn this thread into one of these threads. The merits and comparison between both have been discussed in many other threads. Like this one:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152654&highlight=PBC

If you search for PBC, you will find other ones. The one above is the most developed one in terms of posts. :becky:

Back to the topic at hand.

Good looking cook. How do you like those skewers? I saw some similar ones (flat) and thought about getting them, just hadn't heard anyone talk about them.

Matt

LOL!! Let's not turn this thread into one of these threads. The merits and comparison between both have been discussed in many other threads. Like this one:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152654&highlight=PBC

If you search for PBC, you will find other ones. The one above is the most developed one in terms of posts. :becky:

Back to the topic at hand.

Definitely not my intent.... Probably not the last time ill stick my foot in my mouth though :mrgreen:

Guess sometimes there is a dumb question that deserves a "katty" response

Great photos. In Argentina they use barrels for something similar, instead of skewers they use steel hooks and hang from the same bar at the top. Some hanging rigs are round so more meat can hang in a circle.

Good looking cook. How do you like those skewers? I saw some similar ones (flat) and thought about getting them, just hadn't heard anyone talk about them.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I have all kinds of them from custom made to store bought. I like them for kabobs on an open pit and these specific ones worked excellent on the PBC. The custom ones I had made are real sturdy and made from heavy gauge steel. The ones in the PBC arent but they def do the job.

I just realized u said the flat ones. They're mainly used for ground beef kabobs(more surface) but work just fine for cubed meats ad well.

Here is a pic of the custom ones on an open pit

20130406_192345.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely not my intent.... Probably not the last time ill stick my foot in my mouth though :mrgreen:

Guess sometimes there is a dumb question that deserves a "katty" response

First off, there is never a dumb question. Not trying to be katty, just didn't want to see this thread de-railed into one of those other ones.:thumb: The similarities and differences have been debated extensively in other threads. If you read some of the other ones, they usually take a bad turn somewhere and then the Moderators need to step in. Last thing we want to do as well. :becky:

Back to the topic:

You mentioned the flat skewers are better suited for ground beef. Do mean as in meatballs or do you just cover the whole skewer with a ground meat mix? Do you think you would still need to put something like a potato at the end?
I really liked the idea for chicken wings. Have you ever done wings with the skewers?

Good stuff there bro... Ahhh our good ol traditional bbq.. :) .

Back