• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Possible new smoker build?

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Gang-

Been fascinated by the gravity fed smokers, Backwoods, etc. Dont really know much about them or how they work.

I have this old Laboratory oven sitting in my garage that I was going to use for powdercoating, but decided not to.

Now its calling out to me, "Brian...I wanna be a smoker when I grow up!"

What do you think? Its clean, all it was used for was heating up parts to be pressed into assemblies

I would gut the heater out of it.

But I dont know, might be too much work, but maybe not?

Its SUPER insulated and SUPER heavy

I would paint it black of course...

Last edited:
yeah I know LOL

I just am looking for ideas of what to do with it.

I dont know anything about gravity fed or the other types, just want to use lump if possible in it

No gasser or wattburner on this one

thanks

no. I started taking it apart and in the floor, under the heater elements was some burned on crud that I could not indentify and thought it would be better not to try to cook food in it!

The thing is probably worth a pretty penny as is(for non BBQ purposes), what is the max temperature ?? A fairly simple PID temp controller retrofit would really enhance it.

Bill

The thing is probably worth a pretty penny as is(for non BBQ purposes), what is the max temperature ?? A fairly simple PID temp controller retrofit would really enhance it.

Bill

It did not work and was wired for 480v

thats why I was going to gut it for a smoker.

I would venture a guess we could make that crud go away. Heck, there is always a way, when there is the will to make it happen.

The crud is nothing a grinder or torch couldn't help fix. I say go for it, or send it west. I would love to take that little project on!!!

The crud is nothing a grinder or torch couldn't help fix. I say go for it, or send it west. I would love to take that little project on!!!

I am sure the insulation etc is also contaminated. this was used for assembly of auto parts, who knows whats in it. it was not as clean as I thought it was once I got into it, the whole thing reeked of something weird

besides, its long gone to the recycler. this is an old thread and I have since moved on

Back