Boiling ribs

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
i wanna try it out. Just so i can see the difference between the two. Im going to boil then rotisserie the rest of the time.

How long do i boil them? thanx

Matt

BEFORE THE ADVENT of armchair internet "know it alls" (including me) on the subject of bbq the process of simmering ribs in a flavorful broth, not water (thereby negating the whole "when you boil meat in liquid the flavor merely goes out of the meat and into the water" quote) many of our traditionalist created wonderful q by first boiling it in a flavorful broth. Some of the best loinbacks I have ever had anywhere was simmered in a broth of beer and apple cider and spices then smoked slow for a couple of hours as the broth the ribs simmered in got peppers and onions added then was reduced into and incredible base for a sauce. This was a low country recipe.

Two things I know boiling and simmering are minutely different (yet arguably the same as foiling) but I will not go off on some dumb assed discussion of how its even relevant here. There is such a taboo about it its stupid. Last, if you tasted these ribs you would say the same thing I did... when I ate them and saw the process. "Well Bill and Barb, I guess that is why boiling is illegal."

Here is one of the first good discussions (everyone was thoughtful on the subject) on the taboo of boiling meats -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75441&highlight=boiling+taboo

Place your ribs on your prep table and whisper "boiling water", even this may be too long.
LOL, ill give it a shot..

Foiling is great but hard to foil with a rotisserie. I dont have the rotisserie basket either. I wann try rotisserie ribs vs bbq'd.

thanx

ok so how would you guys rotisserie spares or BB's so they are nice and tender?

In that post by funk, he states that at 300, spares come out juicy, but at 225, they dry out? how is this so? I thought "low n slow" was the brethren moto?

thanx

Matt

boil a way my friend! what you want to do is compare them?
i say go for it
you will see as i did
low slow is the way to go!
that my fellow brethren was a haiku poem for inspiration!
everyone cooks differently find your way.

ok so how would you guys rotisserie spares or BB's so they are nice and tender?

In that post by funk, he states that at 300, spares come out juicy, but at 225, they dry out? how is this so? I thought "low n slow" was the brethren moto?

thanx

Matt

You can use a rib-o-lator if you want to cooks ribs on a rotisserie.

I like ribs between 270 and 225 depending on how much time I have. I know of a competition team that swears by 270 after doing side by side comparisons of different temps.

boil a way my friend! what you want to do is compare them?
i say go for it
you will see as i did
low slow is the way to go!
that my fellow brethren was a haiku poem for inspiration!
everyone cooks differently find your way.

All i wanna do is compare! Find out for myself. My fav rib joint rotisseries them then puts them in a buffet style chamber with a hinged dome style lid to keep them juicy for the customers. I LOVE those ribs. nice and tender.

thanx

i know what you are talking about! give them about an hour in seasoned water, put you some rub on them then on to the rotisseri for how ever long it takes to firm up and get a nice bark on them. Yes i will admit i use to do them like this in the past.

All the discussion in the world is great, but I have had boiled then grilled ribs. I've eaten ribs cooked at 350 F. I've eaten them slow cooked at 225 F. The boiled ribs are not as good as ribs that have not been boiled. Compared to BBQ ribs, there is no comparison. So, waste a slab of ribs if you must, but you will come to the same conclusion as many others that it isn't worth. Does that mean that they will taste bad? No, not at all. They are PORK, after all. But, if you boil them or simmer them or what ever you want to call it, it's not the same and not as good, IMO, as ribs that are cooked over a fire without being boiled.

I like sizzlers ribs and i imagine theres is boiled. So how would you bbq spares or BB's on an offset then? Or rather indirectly like what i do on my UDS.

i was thinking only a 15 minute boil after the roast, not before. just gonna roast em naked. maybe some salt and pepper.

This is a very interesting conversation.

Naturally, the title of the thread is designed to grab attention... I bet that took guts! LT72884, I'd like a name please... Who are you!

But anyways, the first thing I thought was... OHhh... this guys is sooooo gonna get hammered....:heh::heh::heh:

Next thing, we' ve got a really interesting discussion... WTF???

SO as I was reading on, I realised that of all the things that I should have done on my COS, since I joined the brethren, was do some low and slow ribs.. and I realized I have NEVER DONE THEM.... :shock::shock::shock:

And THEN, I remembered all the times I've done Chinese style grilled ribs and... man I can put something interesting together there with low and slow too.....

And THEN, I remember the BEST Ribs I ever had were cooked by my MIL in Hong Kong, BRAISED in some sort of sauce and then nuked to a serious sear in a gas oven. She only ever did that once for me... and that was over 20 years ago...

I gotta do some homework brethren.... I'm boiling nothin', but I might try and combine a braise and a low and slow Q with the traditional "Char Siu" recipe.... no time frame... but thanks so much for the inspiration.

Cheers!

Bill

The thing is as with a lot of terms and uses of terms in cooking. Get missed used, and abused. Most old time cookbooks refer to pre baking ribs or boiling/blanching ribs to set the color of the meat and firm the tissue.
par boiling for a very short time had become the thing to do, with the cheaper cuts of meat to cut down on the cooking time when they were being made in the oven brazing rack in the house. Just another tip from those old time TV shows and tips in the store.

It was a time saver for your granma or mother when they spent to much time in the kitchen. Then after they were in the oven for a while, they were drowned in the bottled ketchup type sauce so you wouldn't know any different.

I don't do it, Boil/steam/blanch the ribs and I can't tell any benefit of doing it.

But as you said this is an experiment so sacrifice a small section and try a side by side with pron
:thumb:

My father always par-boiled his ribs before he put them on the Weber kettle and smoked them, he said it got rid of the fat. A lot has changed since those days, I never got into the whole par-boiling thing.

Most chain restaurants that serve ribs par-boil to tenderize and de-fat. I always figured if you cooked them low and slow on the grill long enough the heat would take care of the fat on the ribs.

:tsk: Okay...okay, if you must. Please post a pic of the dearly departed ribs after the massacre..... :)

Place your ribs on your prep table and whisper "boiling water", even this may be too long.

I did that and my freshly trimmed St. Louis's literally jumped back into their cryopack. Could swear I heard a faint whimper? :-D

To funny CH!

Oh - and make sure you put some beer in your boiling water - I hear it gives the ribs a nice smoky flavor! :crazy:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

BEFORE THE ADVENT of armchair internet "know it alls" (including me) on the subject of bbq the process of simmering ribs in a flavorful broth, not water (thereby negating the whole "when you boil meat in liquid the flavor merely goes out of the meat and into the water" quote) many of our traditionalist created wonderful q by first boiling it in a flavorful broth. Some of the best loinbacks I have ever had anywhere was simmered in a broth of beer and apple cider and spices then smoked slow for a couple of hours as the broth the ribs simmered in got peppers and onions added then was reduced into and incredible base for a sauce. This was a low country recipe.

Two things I know boiling and simmering are minutely different (yet arguably the same as foiling) but I will not go off on some dumb assed discussion of how its even relevant here. There is such a taboo about it its stupid. Last, if you tasted these ribs you would say the same thing I did... when I ate them and saw the process. "Well Bill and Barb, I guess that is why boiling is illegal."

Here is one of the first good discussions (everyone was thoughtful on the subject) on the taboo of boiling meats -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75441&highlight=boiling+taboo

Sorry for the triple post. This thread is great!

Pop - the difference though is you are a wealth of knowledge and great advice. I have referenced you many a time and in practice your advice is spot on...now where is the "kiss a$$" emoticon? :clap2:

Seriously Pop, thanks for the time you put into this forum!

Anyway, parboiling in a rich broth as you say would most certainly make for some very tasty ribs if time was an issue. Doing the same though in just water turns the pork into a grey flavorless mushy mess. There is a guy here in town that has his own place and parboils before going to the smoker...you bite into one of his ribs (which look great) and if ordered sans sauce they taste literally like water which I guess means they taste like nothing.

Back