BWS Bark Tips

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone using an Extended Party have any issues with getting good bark? Also any tips to getting good bark with the Extended Party? Advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Anyone using an Extended Party have any issues with getting good bark? Also any tips to getting good bark with the Extended Party? Advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Im new to Backwoods, so not too much I can share. So far- from what I've learned and what my dealer has shared(who has competed for over 15 yrs).

1- if you want a nice bark- run the smoker with the water pan half full
2- top rack produces best bark

Im happy with my bark so far! Havent done a brisket yet.
20130307_152359_zpsb1b4358a.jpg

20130307_152347_zpsf447c5cb.jpg

Yup- top rack, water pan half full. It was a 6 hr smoke or so.

I put only a small amount of water when heating up the smoker- it gets the temps up faster .My dealer told me she puts water into it when it is already hot but I do not like the idea as it will warp the water pan if it is hot. So just a small amount will get temps up fast- then fill up half full once you overshoot your desired temp by 50 degrees-the colder water will bring it back down.

I then had to fill it up half way again once more during the 6 hr smoke. The benefit to this- I learned from my dealer- is at the end of the smoke, most of your water will evaporate- so it will make clean up easier too.

If I want a good bark using my Fatboy, I make sure to cook on the top rack, spin the butt around every so often, and don't use foil at all.

No, half pan lasted About 3 hrs. Half at the beginning and half about the 3 hr mark. 250 degrees

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Did the temp fluctuate much running it that low on water?
Also are you using a Fatboy or an Extended Party?

I run my Chubby dry. not one problem with bark. filled my pan with sand and just put foil over it.

Did the temp fluctuate much running it that low on water?
Also are you using a Fatboy or an Extended Party?
Im using a Fatboy. The temps stayed solid through out- the reason I knew the water was running low is when the temp began to slowly rise.

What not just run dry? Lot less fuel consimption also

I plan on doing that. As mine has a fixed water pan, I need to weld me up a metal tray that goes into the water pan and is removable so I can fill it with sand and remove it when not in use. I plan on doing the same, running foil over the sand/sand pan.
I want to get a few more cooks under my belt to have a solid idea of running water and temp controls- then switch over to dry and see how much I like it or dislike it.

Either dry or top rack. The top rack is far from the water and if the bws is like the vault being a reverse flow...it'll be a lot dryer up there.

The top rack is a awesome chicken rack, turns out beautiful chickens, everythIng else up there in the vault top rack is where you get bark for sure. I like the middle and second to bottom rack for longer cooks

Back