Advice on Brinkmann Smoke N' Pit Charcoal/Wood Grill & Smoker 810-3044-Sc

R

Rhema316

Hello everyone! I am fairly new at this, been smoking since June of last year, and to date I have covered four of the smoker's food groups - ribs, pulled pork, brisket and chicken :). I have a Brinkman smoker now that really struggles to keep heat. I am looking to upgrade (limited budget) and was considering
Brinkmann Smoke N' Pit Charcoal/Wood Grill & Smoker 810-3044-Sc.

Would someone please let me know if they have used this smoker and the pro's / cons? My wife and I serve in a ministry working with college kids whose parents are missionaries over seas and I periodically smoke large amounts of food for them so I need something that is going to handle some good quantity.

Thank you so much and I have really appreciated all the great tips and helps that you all of provided.

Jim

If that is the one with the side fire box. I've had that model for years. It works good. You can do large amounts of food, but it is a fuel hog and you have to tend the fire a lot. It has a lot of air leaks near the fire box. Also, the charcoal grate is low and ash build up can drop temperature. If you do a few mods and perhaps make a charcoal basket, it'll be a great smoker. But then that will raise the overall price.

What's your budget? Perhaps we can help pick a better smoker that fits your budget.

Sounds like a UDS is required.

Inexpensive, very efficient, large amounts of quality food.

i own one and i have one word for you. RUN.

seriously though, they are functional, but a real headache as far as the problems the other poster pointed out. they are by no means user friendly right out of the box. i havent smoked on mine since i made the UDS last fall. its not worth the headache. even if you decided to just use it as a grill its not a bargain there either.

i have switched to the UDS for smoking and couldnt be happier, ( unless somebody wants to throw one of those fancy offsets or gracity types my way ) for grilling, you will be hard pressed to beat the 22.5" webers for $90.00 at wally world.

just to have a grill that you can shut off the air to the unused coal and relight it would be a great savings over a year. you wont do that with this unit.

keep shopping is my recommendation.

I have one and actually pulled it out yesterday to play with it. While I too will recommend a UDS, I also think these little smokers can be fun and a useful learning tool. Be prepared to do some of the standard modifications to get it running better. I still think the SnP works better for short cooks of ribs and appetizer type items. However, if you want to do long cooks of brisket, butts, chucks and such, a UDS is the way to go. What kind of brinkmann do you have now?

I too have one. It was horrible at first but after some modifications, such as creating a baffle, adding a fire place bricks, extending the chimney down to grate level and raising the charcoal grate in the fire box and sealing the air leaks in the cooking chamber it works much better now. However after saying that I would recommend that you look into UDS or WSM 22.5

Get a 22.5" Weber Kettle OTS and later - or at the same time if your budget permits - a Cajun Bandit Bullet kit - not too much more than the 18.5" WSM in cost but you get the 22.5" capacity. Plus, you still have a grill.

Hello everyone! I am fairly new at this, been smoking since June of last year, and to date I have covered four of the smoker's food groups - ribs, pulled pork, brisket and chicken :). I have a Brinkman smoker now that really struggles to keep heat. I am looking to upgrade (limited budget) and was considering
Brinkmann Smoke N' Pit Charcoal/Wood Grill & Smoker 810-3044-Sc.

Would someone please let me know if they have used this smoker and the pro's / cons? My wife and I serve in a ministry working with college kids whose parents are missionaries over seas and I periodically smoke large amounts of food for them so I need something that is going to handle some good quantity.

Thank you so much and I have really appreciated all the great tips and helps that you all of provided.

Jim

how did you make out Jim?

let me say to anyone that has this grill and is feeling bad now, because of some of the posts in here....don't let anyone scare you! i have been cooking meat on all sorts of things and different ways for many years, anything cooked for 10-12 hours any way, is going to be amazing. Sure, its great to have tips, but out right calling to run away is just uncalled for. This grill for $180 is a bargain, and even if you want to make some small modifications, its FAR better than that tiny little over priced Weber.

That being said (start laughing anytime now) I own this grill but havent used it! I will try it out this weekend and next weekend and report back if im wrong. Stand by.

I too have one. It was horrible at first but after some modifications, such as creating a baffle, adding a fire place bricks, extending the chimney down to grate level and raising the charcoal grate in the fire box and sealing the air leaks in the cooking chamber it works much better now. However after saying that I would recommend that you look into UDS or WSM 22.5

Baffle? where? why? there are 2 grates in the fire box. The top one is about in the middle? how/why did it need to be raised? you must remove the upper grate in the cooking area to bring that chimney down a few more inches (6 maybe?) did you feel the smoke was passing OVER the meat? rather than under and up past it? do the fire bricks accumulate grease? and are there any issues with that? are you laying splits or full size bricks? are they down on the lower rack of the cooking area? or below that? was it helpful to put any firebricks in the fire box? Thanks for any reply.

how did you make out Jim?

let me say to anyone that has this grill and is feeling bad now, because of some of the posts in here....don't let anyone scare you! i have been cooking meat on all sorts of things and different ways for many years, anything cooked for 10-12 hours any way, is going to be amazing. Sure, its great to have tips, but out right calling to run away is just uncalled for. This grill for $180 is a bargain, and even if you want to make some small modifications, its FAR better than that tiny little over priced Weber.
Before you come on here bashing people for giving someone advice on whether or not to purchase something, maybe take a second to read around the forum. Or for that matter read the original post you quoted. Jim came here to ask advice about what grill to buy and for opinions on that particular brinkmann. So far it looks like everyone that has left negative comments about it either own or have owned that model. I would rate their advice excellent on the subject. While I have no experience on that model I can tell you that for $180 you could buy a 22.5 weber and build a couple nice drums, which I guaranty will turn out excellent cue with minimal effort and no modifications. And be careful trashing "that tiny over priced Weber" around here, you might get your head bit off.
Seeing that this is your first post, there's always a second chance at first impressions. Welcome to the forums, take some time to soak up the wealth of knowledge here. Were generally a peaceful forum, but we look after each other too.

Before you come on here bashing people for giving someone advice on whether or not to purchase something, maybe take a second to read around the forum. Or for that matter read the original post you quoted. Jim came here to ask advice about what grill to buy and for opinions on that particular brinkmann. So far it looks like everyone that has left negative comments about it either own or have owned that model. I would rate their advice excellent on the subject. While I have no experience on that model I can tell you that for $180 you could buy a 22.5 weber and build a couple nice drums, which I guaranty will turn out excellent cue with minimal effort and no modifications. And be careful trashing "that tiny over priced Weber" around here, you might get your head bit off.
Seeing that this is your first post, there's always a second chance at first impressions. Welcome to the forums, take some time to soak up the wealth of knowledge here. Were generally a peaceful forum, but we look after each other too.

Peaceful??? youre kidding. you are nasty.

Before you come on here bashing people for giving someone advice ...Were generally a peaceful forum, but we look after each other too.

No one "bashed" anyone fella. I've been on this planet for 50 years and the internet for half of that, I have seen attackers like you WAY too many times in my life. High post count people attacking low post count people, calling out "troll" and other silly terms to flex muscles. It's unbecoming to say the least. I'm sure No one on here needs you looking after them...jeez.

i don't have this one but i do have a NBBD which is similar. I will say that is a huge learning curve i personally feel and you will have to do some modifications. (most are fairly inexpensive) I am still learning on mine. I am having fun with it though.

Good luck with your decision though it might help posing a price range you are looking for so people can make reconmendation for better option in that price range. Also don't be afraid of checking craiglist either

Back