Thermometer Thread Size Help

12guns

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
To install my Thermometer (s) in my smoker lid, I though I would just weld a nut on after drilling a hole...but my Thermometer, which is standard $15 job, seems to be 1/2" Pipe thread?????
I can't find a weldable nut anywhere that is the right size! If I know it's 1/2" PT for sure, I may have to order a tap and tap straight through the door. The metal on my air tank is minimum 1/4" and likely 5/16". Plenty to cut a couple threads for a temp gauge.
What have others done? Thanks

The thread on mine is 1/2" but it came with a nut, so I just used that. I much prefer the nut to welding anything on or even to threading through the metal. The nut makes it much easier to replace the thermometer with another brand in the future if needed.

I'll check into the conduit nut.
I wasn't planning to weld the thermometer on, just the nut that it threads into. I think most followed me, but just to clarify.
Thanks for the help!

I'll check into the conduit nut.
I wasn't planning to weld the thermometer on, just the nut that it threads into. I think most followed me, but just to clarify.
Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't weld the nut either. Mainly because with my luck the thermo would end up upside down or sideways when it gets tight. Are you sure it is 1/2 inch pipe thread? That seems very large for a thermo. If it is, I would look into the conduit nut. They are cheap and an easy fix.

The threaded part on my Thermo is 1/2".

Yah 12guns, I didn't think you meant to weld the thermometer. :p

If you really want to weld it, get a 1/2" N.P.T. pipe coupler

One%20Half%20Inch%20Galv%20Coupling.jpg

McMASTER Carr has weld on tank flanges for 1/2" npt.Let me know if that's what you are looking for and i'll send you one. We use all sizes on hydraulic power units we build.

Thanks for all the help.
I fired up the smoker for a couple racks of spare ribs that were on sale at Kroger...My loving wife also volunteered me to smoke two butts for a Bunco night at our house.
So in doing so, I went to thread my thermometer back in and noticed there is a nut on the back side of it! It's designed to sandwich the steel but I may weld it on. Haven't decided yet. Anyway, between that and conduit nuts, I should have it figured out!

Back