Lamb Fore 1/4 BBQ

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
G'dAy Bruces!!!!

I've been busy.... besides being farkin' flooded and all the work that entailed, I was very p!ssed off last week because it meant that I could not BBQ! Its annoyed me no end that I missed a few TD's. It has become an expectation in the family that Dad is gonna go crazy on the BBQ once a week. SO this week I had the chance to do 2TD's in 2 days. I entered the short ribs just in time, and while I was Q'ing that I was prepping this lamb for the next night... and in getting prepped so early, I might even get a chance to enter something else at the death... well, we shall see... but at LAMB CENTRAL here in Melbourne Victoria, Australia... a Forequarter Roast was on the menu last night:thumb:

Hit it....:becky:

Firstly... the cut...
DSC_0263_1714.jpg

DSC_0265_1785.jpg

This cut is pretty much identical to a pork shoulder roast. Lamb is a lot smaller than pork, and a bit of a different shape, so what we are looking at here is the equivalent to a pork butt, flat bone (scapula) in, including the country cut ribs, but with the picnic removed (that is a lamb shank). Also, it's without the actual neck, wish is a seperate cut on a lamb, because it's a longer neck and is indeed very delicious on its own as a casserole dish..

Are you still following me.... farkers!:becky:

Enter.... PHRASTY! With this post, that made me drool!

And so I got to thinking I would do this with a Lamb Shoulder.

A lamb shoulder is a very complex meat. It does require a longer cooking time than a leg, but because we are talking BBQ and smoke, we have to be careful to balance smoke and temp and flavour. There is always that element of "lambiness" that can make some diners turn away and I was trying to handle that with this Q...

OK... action..
DSC_0266_1717.jpg

If you checked out Phrasty's process, I copied that. Ididn't know what he used for the rub, so I used that same rub leftovers that I used for the Short Ribs I did the day before!

A similar marinade
DSC_0267_1718.jpg

And into a 1 gallon Zip Lock bag overnight..
DSC_0269_1720.jpg

Quite a few of you have questioned Lamb and smoke. I thought I would put it to the test here... so in goes some fresh peach wood into the stick burner!
DSC_0001_1758.jpg

Here's the lamb as it goes on...

DSC_0002_1759.jpg

I originally wanted to do this at 225F, but I was starting this with about a 4 hour cook window, so needed to go a lot higher. I settled at 325 although this started chewing up a lot of lump on my offset...

1 hr in..
DSC_0003_1760.jpg

Noice!
DSC_0004_1761.jpg

Noicer!
DSC_0006_1762.jpg

Nearly done... oh yeah!
DSC_0008_1764.jpg

Pretty much done on the underside!
DSC_0011_1767.jpg

After resting for a full 30 mins...
DSC_0015_1769.jpg

Q'd to perfection at 145F and rested for 35 minutes and sliced...
DSC_0017_1770.jpg

It was a plate of goodnesss! Nice and rare, and rested...

While the Lamb was on the BBQ, I had time to prepare a Coleslaw, a Greek Style Salad and also char grill some Zuccini..

DSC_0024_1773.jpg

This is my TD photo for the moment... I know I need to improve my photo skills... The salads were a perfect compliment to the lamb in our Aussie summer weather. The astringent salad dressings cutting right through the lamb fat.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to ask any butcher in the US for a lamb shoulder and get one. If you live in an area where you can get Halal meats, you will certainly be able to get a whole lamb shoulder, no question.

Anyways... I got another 6 days to come up with a winner lamb dish, but I hope this inspires a few of you for now!

Cheers!

Bill

Phirst Phrasty and now you too Ausz...I can't stand seeing so much good lamb Pron coming by!
Nice plate Ausz!:cool:

Wow Bill, that looks awesome! Never done a primal shoulder b4, I can only find them de-boned. Have to try that with some local stuff.

Cheers

Oh Boy, Here we go again. That is not a true shoulder, I see four ribs and cushion meat! (I hope you got that inside joke.)

Looks like some mighty fine cooking and eating there, Bill. You did yourself proud. I have probably won more cooking awards for lamb than any other meat.

I used to buy yearling lambs that a friend raised. The friend would have it processed for me. The only cutting on the carcass I had done was to have the carcass split down the spine. I did the rest of the butchering myself. For what it cost me for the lamb and processing, the whole lamb cost me less than two racks of lamb would cost me at a retail price.

I would tell you more, but I don't want to hijack your thread. Nice job and thanks for the pictures.

Stouts,

Juggy

Beautiful lamb there!:thumb: It looks worthy of one of the ALF award that Aussie guy gives out. I'm sure he'll be around shortly with his review.:becky:

Beautiful job Bill, lamb. it's whats for dinner.

Good looking Lamb Bill getting alot of inspiration for this one already

That is first class - looks fantastic! Thanks for posting.

I'm off in search for some lamb! That looks fantastic.

You are right. My butcher had lamb shoulders all set to go. I didn't expect it to weigh 6 pounds. Now I have to find some people that like lamb!!!

Back