BlackHawk Brisket Version 1.0 - The Details

Thanks Boshizzle and Pitmaster T for a very interesting discussion!

All the talk of baking soda got me thinking about how it is used in baking and frying. According to Wiki:

"Thermal decomposition causes sodium bicarbonate alone to act as a raising agent by releasing carbon dioxide at baking temperatures. The carbon dioxide production starts at temperatures above 80 °C" [176°F]

What do you guys (or any other Brethren) think about how baking soda might affect bark production based on the release of CO2?

There was so little used on my brisket, I doubt there was any impact. Plus, burning wood produces CO2 too.

At the beginning of the thread it was noted that PH affects the Mallard reaction. Is the Mallard reaction stronger when the PH is base or acidic?

Baking soda neutralizes acid so it raises the PH.

Yes, I understand that baking soda is a base so will neutralize acids. Since you added baking soda to help the Mallard reaction, I assume there is a stronger reaction when the PH is not acidic. So I'm trying to verify that as some of the information PT gave has me confused on this point.

Bo shizzle.... I knew this would start something... they cannot help ignoring everything and focusing on the baking soda. LOL

Yes, I understand that baking soda is a base so will neutralize acids. Since you added baking soda to help the Mallard reaction, I assume there is a stronger reaction when the PH is not acidic. So I'm trying to verify that as some of the information PT gave has me confused on this point.

The higher PH causes the Maillard reaction to occur quicker.

Now, two things are going on here. The brown sugar and molasses are caramelizing and the surface of the meat is going through the Maillard reaction.

My intent on using the sugar and the oil was to hope that those two together would get really hot and cause the Maillard reaction on the surface of the meat to occur more quickly than without them.

The baking soda is part of the theory. I haven't verified whether or not the baking soda is making a significant contribution but it isn't negatively impacting it either.

Oh sheesh let me clear this up////

Jizzle... when, exactly when did you get this idea (and it could be a good one) to use baking soda... be honest, my friend.

Probably about a month and a half ago after reading up on how the Maillard reaction works. I have been working hard to improve the bark without having to do long cooks. I have been trying lots of different things and even tried a weed burner at one point. :laugh: A WB might work but I gave up on it.

no no... why did you pick up the baking soda and sprinkle it on the brisket... tell me about that day...

LOL Weed Burner. LOL Good one... dont be embarrassed... I am the guy who made a cage out of rebar to swing into my 600 degree firebox. I was going to start the briskets with a massive heat bombardment. Even did one with the stoker on full blast... thats how flames shot out of my stacks... which if you saw the distance smoke has to travel to get to the stacks on the brazos you would be impressed.

I knew that baking soda helps to speed up browning onions and I knew that pretzels get their color from being dipped in baking soda/water so I figured why not try it on the brisket. If it works on those things it might just work on the brisket. I figured if it speeds up browning, that's what I needed for a HnF cook. Doing some reading I learned that the higher PH is what actually speeds up the MR.

I knew that baking soda helps to speed up browning onions and I knew that pretzels get their color from being dipped in baking soda/water so I figured why not try it on the brisket. If it works on those things it might just work on the brisket. I figured if it speeds up browning, that's what I needed for a HnF cook. Doing some reading I learned that the higher PH is what actually speeds up the MR.

I did not expect this answer and learned two things from it.... one I might use next time I make my onion soul bread. In fact... I might use it tomorrow when I have some considerble onions to brown. Hmmm

I still can't fugure out why i get a stellar bark and you have troubles.... you use 270 too right?

I cook between 275 and as high as 300ish. Depends on how much I have in the smoker.

The only time I ever have a problem is if I screw up and put a fat cap up or something.

Back