KCBS comps without CBJ's

Pickin' Porkers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Out of curiosity...I wonder how a KCBS BBQ competition would turn out WITHOUT CBJ's. I understand this was common back in the "old days"....but how different would the results be today???

IMnotalwaysHO

The same as if you had regular people who aren't around livestock judging fairs. "Oh that chicken is ugly", "that is such a cute cow", "i dont like pigs, I was attacked by one as a kid so unless it looks like Wilber, it is a loser in my book".

Maybe that is a bad example? I think it would change the way Q is cooked; might allow any semi experienced person to win comps even though they haven't done the time or made the sacrifices to get there. I think there would be more people wanting ribs and chicken to fall off the bone, and brisket that is cooked crumbley tender. I think the scores would be more spread out do to no training in criteria to look for.
If you guide them well in the same general direction, you will get more of them to the same point. I have not judged a lot of comps, but I have heard bad comments at the judges table like: "I don't like cumin", " I never give brisket high scores", and listened to two judges at the table agree that "if they serve pulled chicken, that means they messed it up". When I was at judge class, they said looks good, tastes good and, is tender but not over tender, judging everything on its own merit no matter, not comparing boxes. They also said, two people may not agree on the same box and that is part of the sport. So it isn't perfect but I think it's better than the alternative.
I have fun when I judge though. And get to eat good Q!

This for sure!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Out of curiosity...I wonder how a KCBS BBQ competition would turn out WITHOUT CBJ's. I understand this was common back in the "old days"....but how different would the results be today???

About the same. IBCA doesn't use certified judges, and the cream still manages to consistently rise to the top.

If KCBS took judges off the street, sat them all down to listen to the CD, etc. I'd expect a similar result.

About the same. IBCA doesn't use certified judges, and the cream still manages to consistently rise to the top.

If KCBS took judges off the street, sat them all down to listen to the CD, etc. I'd expect a similar result.

I think I’d like that and it would be a way to get the public involved to help Organizers. But we all know KCBS would never go for it. Heck, it couldn’t be anymore screwed up than the current system.

Last edited:
If KCBS is so screwed up, how is it the top dogs keep on being top dogs and the less then top dogs keep on complaining how crappy it is?
Ed

If KCBS is so screwed up, how is it the top dogs keep on being top dogs and the less then top dogs keep on complaining how crappy it is?
Ed

Because the top dogs are better than me and the other less dogs. They cook 40 contest per year while the large majority cook a handful. The top dogs will also tell you how screwed up the system is. I happen to believe KCBS is screwed up and as a member I have a right to that opinion just as you have a right to an opposite opinion as a member. I don't fault you for having that opposite opinion.

Ed

Because the top dogs would tell you that you wouldn't have to cook 40 contests to create an average that 30 would if it weren't for a failed judging system that has been known to exist for at least 4 years now yet KCBS continues to promote it. Just wonder why the corporate interest no longer exists in KCBS BBQ.

And to add, I'd take a street judge over the judge that says "I'm a BBQ cook and that stuff is no where near what I turn out. Because I know what judges want, I'm a MCBJ as Well"

Ask a team that cooked in Humble, Tx this year when 25 judges didn't show and they were pulling people in. Last year Humble had a 70% CBJ count and I wonder if this year will be the same or worse.

Because the top dogs would tell you that you wouldn't have to cook 40 contests to create an average that 30 would if it weren't for a failed judging system that has been known to exist for at least 4 years now yet KCBS continues to promote it. Just wonder why the corporate interest no longer exists in KCBS BBQ.

And to add, I'd take a street judge over the judge that says "I'm a BBQ cook and that stuff is no where near what I turn out. Because I know what judges want, I'm a MCBJ as Well"

Crap, I thought my voice was quiet enough ....

I'd take a street judge over the judge that says "I'm a BBQ cook and that stuff is no where near what I turn out. Because I know what judges want, I'm a MCBJ as Well"

This! I've met a few judges exactly like this. :tape:

Back