Big Chief for smoking cheese

S

SUMA

Last summer I wanted to smoke up some cheese, but I didn't have a cold smoker. So I decided to convert my Big chief into a cold smoker ghetto style! I raised the racks up out of the smoker and mocked up a top with an old cardboard box I had laying around.
Cheese_03.gif

My first batch I did a cheddar and pepper jack for about 30mins. It was 10mins to long! The smoke taste was way too over bearing. the next batch I went about 15-20mins and it was perfect. My favorite is pepper jack with a hint of smoke.
Cheese_01.gif
Cheese_02.gif

This weekend I plan making a new top out of wood, any suggestion?

Also for Xmas I plan making gift baskets of Homemade jerky, smoke cheese and home brewed holiday beer! ... yes I am cheap!

Dude that is farkin awesome! Proof that smoking doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. If only the brethren knew how ghetto you really are! I'd better be gettin a gift basket....

I've smoked cheese in my kettle with great results...

I use only 6 briquets, let them cool down a bit, then add a small piece of water soaked wood. Who cut the cheese? :redface:

Is that a box from one of those new 3d- 50 centimeter plama tv's? Reminds me of Michael Scott's plasma tv in the dinner party episode. ;)

Very cool! I would be embarassed to show my ghetto rig that I hooked up to smoke cheese.... 10 feet of 5 inch pipe going into a Smokey Joe....

Very ingenious and cheap. Nice work:thumb: One suggestion if I may-you say that the smoke flavoring is overbearing after 20 minutes. I cold smoke my cheeses for anywhere between 3 and 4 hours, usually with apple or cherry. The trick is, after smoking, to wrap the cheese in plastic wrap and let it mellow in the fridge for anywhere up to a couple of weeks before consuming. The smoke particles are too fresh right off the smoker. JMHO, but I would venture to bet that if you try it this way, you'll like the results:-D

Awesome process and pron, bro!
Very ingenious and cheap. Nice work:thumb: One suggestion if I may-you say that the smoke flavoring is overbearing after 20 minutes. I cold smoke my cheeses for anywhere between 3 and 4 hours, usually with apple or cherry. The trick is, after smoking, to wrap the cheese in plastic wrap and let it mellow in the fridge for anywhere up to a couple of weeks before consuming. The smoke particles are too fresh right off the smoker. JMHO, but I would venture to bet that if you try it this way, you'll like the results:-D
Interesting, this. Thanks for sharing that.

I got the rid of the cardboard box for a top and made a wood top out of scrap wood in the garage.

Cheese_04.gif

It was a quick slap together, nothing special.

Thanks for all the replies!

@B-Lazy BBQ- thanks man! I am for sure going to try that!

...Also for Xmas I plan making gift baskets of Homemade jerky, smoke cheese and home brewed holiday beer! ... yes I am cheap! [/FONT][/SIZE]

Nothing is better than gifts that people have made themselves and put their time and pride into - that's not cheap, that's awesome! :clap2: Anybody can buy stuff from a store - I suspect people getting yer baskets will be thrilled. :thumb:

I'll vouch for that! I don't smoke for that long, but I usually vacu-suck my cheese :bow: and let it mellow for at least a couple of weeks before digging in.

I've also found that if you simply smoke some cheese cloth :crazy: and then wrap unsmoked cheese in it and vac it, it will end up with the same great smoked cheese flavor without worrying about it being too smokey or any undesired meltyness... :doh: ...stupid provolone. :rolleyes:

IMG_0521Medium.jpg

I'll vouch for that! I don't smoke for that long, but I usually vacu-suck my cheese :bow: and let it mellow for at least a couple of weeks before digging in.

Every cold smoking rig is a bit different. The way my contraption runs, I get a very thin, almost thin blue smoke out of it and I need to smoke for a bit longer than most.

You can barely see the smoke
IMG_1874Small.jpg

IMG_1873Small.jpg

I run a modified grease drum with a smoke generator (with pellets), soldering iron and an aquarium air pump
IMG_2004Small.jpg

B-Lazy that setup in ingenious! I always knew soldering irons were good for more than poking folks in the eye with it!:becky:

Back