• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

fatty up or down

rangerwillie

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Good morning. Doing a 9 lb. pork butt bone in with target temp 300-325. Would you go fat side up or down. I am thinking of leaving fat side up on my way up to 300 then fat side down for remainder of cook. Any thoughts/suggestions? As always, thanks for the expertise.

I used to do fat side up. But, I've come to the conclusion that the fat renders out of the meat not into it. Gravity doesn't seem to affect this. I prefer fat side down, it gives the meat a little protection from the heat.

Just my $.02

I trip as much fat as possible off the butt and leave about 1/4" fat cap on it. Then in the cooker fat side up. Works for me and I like the bark it makes. Now get to cooking and post up some pics!

Depends on the cooker. In a UDS, the heat is coming from the bottom, so fat side down to protect the meat. In an offset, it wouldn't matter, but if it were a brisket in an offset, point closer to heat source every time.

I also agree that fat doesn't melt into the meat, it drops off the meat, so fat side up doesn't help keep it moist. Moisture comes from within the meat as it renders.

In my experience it all depends on your heat source. If your heat comes from below then fat down. If the heat comes from the side and passes over the top of the meat, fat up. This will help protect your meat. My cookers heat from the bottom, which I like best because that means I will have fat down and form a really nice bark with no grill marks.

I trip as much fat as possible off the butt and leave about 1/4" fat cap on it. Then in the cooker fat side up. Works for me and I like the bark it makes. Now get to cooking and post up some pics!

Me too except I cut off as much fat as possible so that the rub contacts the meat. There is so much fat marveling in a butt I don't see how you could ever dry one out.

Also, it makes for less fat to remove and toss when pulling.

Only way for op to find the best answer is cook 2 side-by-side, one up & one down and see if you notice a difference.

I trim pretty close and usually go fat cap down since I cook on a BGE and the is coming from the bottom. That's just how we do it...

Try it both ways and see what works for you.

Depends on the cooker for me. UDS, fat side down. The rest of my smokers fat side up. I like the way the fat bastes the meat.

Everyone has their favorite way, this is just mine.

I always do fat down regardless of where the fire is coming from. When I remove my pork butts from the grate sometimes they stick, and I don't want to lose any good pork because it stuck to the grate.

I did fat side up for two hours then went fat side down and will remain for duration. Am 5 hrs into cook at 325. Took 2 hrs to get to 325. As always thanks for valuable info. If I get a chance I will take pics.

Back