• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wood Storage and Movement for Stick Burners

masque13

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello everyone! It seems we've been having several good comp related threads on getting from A to Z on things, I really appreciate the insight from everyone.

In a continuation of those themes, here's the next big item on my list;

Carrying wood for stick burners!

Me and my partner love using a stick burner.....I have a Myron Mixon MMS-48 and the fuel consumption is very reasonable. But even as reasonable as it is, it still requires us to take a modest amount of wood to burn.....and when you add in the extra wood that we take to keep me from panicking that we won't "have enough", it's got a bit of weight with it.

Currently, we simply fill up a couple of medium sized totes from Lowe's with the hard yellow lids that stack. it's not real bad to carry one of those even with wood in it, but we're working real hard to simplify things...I do have a dolly that can lay down and become sort of a cart which I guess is an option.

BUT, I'm wondering what strategies some of my fellow stick burners have incorporated into their comp preparations to ensure ease of transportation help with the saving of back muscles in dealing with wood?

yes, but on the MMS-48 the firebox is so long that if the wood slid or lost it's place and slid away from the firebox door, it could become a difficult or cumbersome task to get the wood all the back out from the other end.

But your point is valid in that it is a natural storage area.....so maybe I could look into that and I suppose as long as a i have stout poker with an L shape on the end I could drag stray pieces back into reach when needed.

Lowes has storage boxes with wheels on one end and a slide out handle on the other end. Makes moving very easy.

excellent, I will check that out.....I believe I saw one of those one time and then forgot about it......thanks!

I'd fill the chamber and firebox with wood. Just wipe down your racks at the event.

I'd fill the chamber and firebox with wood. Just wipe down your racks at the event.

yeh, that is a great idea......the only thing that scares me is that we roll the smoker on and off a cargo trailer.......the smoker empty is right at a 1000 pounds......so I'm a bit worried about the extra weight with it all loaded up with wood....I guess I would have to do a mock load at home and just see how much more difficult it is to handle when fully loaded.

You could roll it into your trailer empty and then fill it with wood once it's loaded.

Then load up after the contest empty

I leave the tote box in back of the truck, tailgate open and just grab a couple logs at a time as I need them.

Back