Anyone ever build an Arduino temperature controller? {GEEKS}

try the xBee line of adapters, I think a completed one is $25 at Makershed.com, the unassembled kit is 10 or 15 bucks

This actually crossed my mind the other day on the way home from work. But i wanted to use a Raspberry Pi, Two temps, (one monitors meat temp, one monitors grill temp) and the one that controls the power for the fan.

I didnt see any reason it wouldnt be feasible, may take some doing and may have to write some software for it. but keep us posted, i may get mine underway in the winter when i actually have time to do it

Using a Pi is overkill for a project like this IMHO.

On a side note I'm also interested in a project like this (also on the flip side a wireless refridgerator monitor as I just had to deal with a defrost failure there). I recently picked up a Nerdkit and am working my way through IC's and imbedded electronics (former failed EE student)

I think you can use Arudino's for the controllers and a PI tied to a small LCD for overview.

Last edited:
I'm currently in the process of building one now, using an Uno and the WiShield. I have 4 Maverick ET-732's for the probes and a 20x4 LCD for display. I have it all breadboard'ed out just working on laying out my prototype shield with my connections. I have an Electric smoker so my controller just runs a 110v SSR to control temps on the oven based around a set point (basic PID). It's a really simple project but will get me much more stable temps. AdaFruit recently ran a tutorial on setting up a Thermistor. The way they did it was much easier than my initial way, which was to calculate the A,B,C values for the 732's and run them through the Steinhart-Hart equation, they also used AREF and +3 volt to stabilize the readings which helped a lot. So I'm in the process of rewiring to take advantage of those changes. Initially I got side tracked trying to use a 'cheap' Wireless solution, eventually gave up on that and just went w/ the WiShield. It works pretty well but the Uno doesn't have much power so my current software is uploading the temps to an EC2 instance then my android app pulls from the EC2, also I have a simple web page on the EC2 that I can use to check on and adj the temps. This way the Uno only has to communicate with 1 external server and any number of clients can attach to the EC2 instance w/o slowing down the Uno. IMHO this is where the CyberQ WiFi screwed up, 3-4 clients connect to it, it almost becomes unresponsive, not very scalable.

twinsfan, you'll probably have to use a relay or transistor as mentioned and power the fan using some other source than the Arduino board. So, if you are going to power Arduino using a 12v transformer just split the output on the transformer run 1/2 the Arduino and the other 1/2 to the transistor/relay then 'pulse' the transistor/relay using the digital out to get the desired fan output like 25%, 50%, 75%, etc something other than full on/off, that's basically what I'm doing w/ the SSR in my project, since the heating element is on/off I turn it on for 10 seconds, turn off for 10 seconds, repeat, that's 50% power, or on for 15 seconds off for 5, that's 75% power, you just have to play w/ the times and get it tuned up for your needs.

If you are interested I have some pictures of the 'in progress' here,
https://picasaweb.google.com/110697759551688290298/ArduinoBBQMonitor?authuser=0&feat=directlink

2012-06-27_17-43-24_943.jpg

-chad

Caliking, I've got the thing circuited out pretty well, but I've decided I'm going to skip on the thermistors and probably just buy real probes. Worth it in the long run.

The other thing is I need to buy some relays to control fan.

The problem is I've been pretty busy and I'm going to have a lot more cash at the end of the month to work on it, just as I have to go back to classes at HS. :rolleyes:

I will let you guys know how it works out, I just need to buy more parts at this point.

My only problem, is, right now, that the fan draws 12 V/0.07 A, (I swear it was advertised as 5 V but whatever), and the Arduino power pins only supply 5 V, which really doesn't move the fan too well.

Can any electricians help me out here? Will the fan not work or do I need to introduce external power from somewhere?

Thanks

Your fan is clearly marked 12 v buy a different fan they are cheap

Well mines done, just tweaking the Software.

IMG_6413.jpg

IMG_6415.jpg

I used Maverick ET732 probes with a 22k resistor.

Well mines done, just tweaking the Software.

IMG_6415.jpg

I used Maverick ET732 probes with a 22k resistor.

Were you able to use the Arduino shield for wifi? I read some time ago on the tvwb thread that it no longer worked for this application since a different version is being made and sold now.

twinsfan: keep us posted!

Were you able to use the Arduino shield for wifi? I read some time ago on the tvwb thread that it no longer worked for this application since a different version is being made and sold now.

twinsfan: keep us posted!

I used the WiShield 2.0. They are no longer making them but you can still get them on eBay. Little expensive but a pretty decent API. I tried using a WizFiShield that simulated Serial but there was no api so programming in it was a bit of a PITA, setting it up was all AT commands, so I dumpped it and went w/ the WiShield even though it's no longer supported.

Chad

Forgot all about this.

Here's the box. Yes, it's a Radio Shack plastic box.
PA010102.jpg

Here is a pic of the guts
PA010107.jpg

Different view
PA010106.jpg

The green PCB is the back of the LCD display. I originally had made it to control my two WSMs. That's why there's a 1/2 switch and the display has info for two cookers.

Eventually I want to lay out a real PC board instead of the hand wired board. I also want to lay out a nice aluminum front panel that looks way more professional than my hacked up plastic box.

Russ

I am currently in the process of building a controller using an Arduino. I wanted to take range out of the equation so rather than use something like ZigBee or Bluetooth I opted for a USB host shield. I had an old Android phone laying around which requests voltage reading from the Arduino and then it acts as a server that is connected wirelessly to my network. I have an Android Server app which I've written and an Android Client app which can connect to the server. You can set alarms and graph the temperatures. I can go out on a date with my wife and still check my temperatures even though I might be 30 minutes away. My eventual plan is to use a different micro controller with slightly more processing power and a wifi shield so that I can remove the need for an old android phone. The server software will run on the micro controller and the same Android client app which I've written will connect to and communicate with the device over the internet/intranet depending on how it is setup. I'm still in the early stages, but as I get farther along with it I will post more information here.

The device:
IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Snapshots of the Client Android app I am writting:
Screenshot_2012-04-26-07-07-32.png

Screenshot_2012-04-26-07-06-41.png

Screenshot_2012-04-26-07-06-27.png

Screenshot_2012-04-26-07-06-16.png

Screenshot_2012-04-26-07-06-05.png

Last edited:
Different view
PA010106.jpg

The green PCB is the back of the LCD display. I originally had made it to control my two WSMs. That's why there's a 1/2 switch and the display has info for two cookers.

Eventually I want to lay out a real PC board instead of the hand wired board. I also want to lay out a nice aluminum front panel that looks way more professional than my hacked up plastic box.

Russ

Russ - your build gives me hope that I might be able to do this project. Have you had a chance to test it out yet? Please keep us updated!

I am currently in the process of building a controller using an Arduino. I wanted to take range out of the equation so rather than use something like ZigBee or Bluetooth I opted for a USB host shield. I had an old Android phone laying around which requests voltage reading from the Arduino and then it acts as a server that is connected wirelessly to my network. I have an Android Server app which I've written and an Android Client app which can connect to the server. You can set alarms and graph the temperatures. I can go out on a date with my wife and still check my temperatures even though I might be 30 minutes away. My eventual plan is to use a different micro controller with slightly more processing power and a wifi shield so that I can remove the need for an old android phone. The server software will run on the micro controller and the same Android client app which I've written will connect to and communicate with the device over the internet/intranet depending on how it is setup. I'm still in the early stages, but as I get farther along with it I will post more information here.

I'm not going to pretend to understand everything you said, but finally... someone is messing with an Android temp controller!!

Are you building a temp monitor or a PID type controller? Great job so far!

I'm not going to pretend to understand everything you said, but finally... someone is messing with an Android temp controller!!

Are you building a temp monitor or a PID type controller? Great job so far!

Yes...er...well right now it is only a temp monitor, but i fully intend on adding a motor driver to it. Of course then the software would also allow you to remotely control the desired temperatures. Yes, it's all in the plans.

It's more or less completed. I've been using it in competition for 3-4 years now.

It's uglier than sin and the software is pretty rudimentary, but it works every time. I need to either learn how to write software better or find somebody that has the knowledge. I'm a hardware engineer, not a software guy.

Russ

Invading from the Virtual Webber forums, I too have made several Arduino-based BBQ controllers. From the networking perspective I've found all the Arduino shields to be pretty disappointing so I ended up building my own "shield" consisting of a whole computer attached at all times.

Starting with my original Arduino+WiShield +DataFlash design:
implementation-4.jpg

To building the whole thing inside a Linksys router:

To finally shrinking it back down and bolting it to a Raspberry Pi:

The whole thing is open souce too. I found this thread while googling around for similar systems for homebrewing but it is awesome to see some of the other great ideas in this thread!

Hey, Bryan welcome too the Brethrens. Its about time you posted over here. :thumb:

Im also building a Rasberry Pi BBQ controller, I should have it finished next week while i take a week off from work.

Hey, Bryan welcome too the Brethrens. Its about time you posted over here. :thumb:

Im also building a Rasberry Pi BBQ controller, I should have it finished next week while i take a week off from work.

Definitely write up your project. I was curious if anyone would start messing around with a raspberry pi. That's on my list of things to get so I can tinker.

Back