Hot and Fast Brisky on the WSM with Pron

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After several experiments with high heat briskets, I've pretty much settled on one method, although I'm sure I'll still play around with different techniques. It's basically Popdaddy's Tri-level rub, high heat method. The only difference is that I like to run a few hours at 225 or so before ramping up the temps to 300+. I've found that on my smoker that I get a better smoke ring and flavor that way. This ups the total smoke time to about 10 hours instead of 5, but you still can start a brisket in the morning and have it rested and sliced for dinner. I guess it's more of a "medium hot and medium fast" brisket. :-D
So this is my "official high heat brisky on a WSM" post that I will link to when friends and Brethren ask me how I do mine.

The "Tri-Level" is three rubs: Lawry's Seasoned Salt, Popdaddy's Butt Glitter Rub, and a salt/pepper type rub. The recipes for Popdaddy's Butter Glitter is 8 parts Paprika, 3 parts salt and sugar, 2 parts cumin, granulated garlic, granulated onion and celery seed, 1 part chili powder, oregano and pepper, and 1/2 parts mustard powder and cayenne pepper.
The final salt/pepper rub that I use is 1/4 cup Diamond Kosher salt, 1/4 cup coarse grind pepper, 2 TBSP Lawry's Lemon Pepper, 2 TBSP granulated garlic and 1/2 tsp cayenne.

The night before, prepped by cutting away the thicker layers of fat, along with that big hunk that sits between the point and the flat. Sprinkled with a layer of Lawry's seasoned salt and Popdaddy's Butt Glitter. The salt/pepper rub will go on the next day right before I throw it on the smoker.
IMG_0002.jpg

Full ring of RO lump, minion method with about 15 briquettes of regular charcoal on top. 3 hunks of apple, 2 hunks of hickory.
IMG_0006.jpg

On the smoker a with a heavy layer of the salt/pepper rub added. I like to take about 30 minutes to get to 225, then stay around there for a couple of hours before ramping temps.
IMG_0007.jpg

Today's Brews:
Sweetwater's Happy Ending (brewed right here Atlanta), and Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout (brewed up the road in Athens, GA).
IMG_0013.jpg

About 5 hours in. Brisket temp around 158 degrees. My WSM seems happiest around the 315 degree range, so that is where it hovered most of the time. I'll include a full time and temp log at the end of the post.
IMG_0015.jpg

The picture that always makes Popdaddy cringe. Separated the point and flat so I could cube the point and make "burnt ends" (Sorry Pops!). Flat was wrapped in butcher paper and resting for 2 hours or so.
IMG_0024.jpg

Hit the cubed point with some bovine bold, and some Blues Hog sauce thinned with some of the Sweetwater Happy Ending. Then back on the smoker for a couple more hours.
IMG_0025.jpg

Flat sliced after a 2 hour rest.
IMG_0029.jpg

Burnt ends (or faux burnt ends, depending on your view) came out great. Some of the flat slices were a tad underdone, but it was pouring rain all day and I was sick of dealing with the smoker and getting soaked. Flat could probably have used about another hour.
IMG_0034.jpg

Time and Temp Log:

Time/Smoker Temp/Meat Temp
Start / 125 / 45
1 hour / 190 / 50
3 hours / 235 / 64
5 hours / 320 / 126
7 hours / 310 / 175
10 hours / 311 / 201 (pulled from smoker)

Last edited:
Looks delicious. Just curious though why do you do your salt and pepper rub later than the other ones?

Looks delicious. Just curious though why do you do your salt and pepper rub later than the other ones?

It's Popdaddy's method (barbefunkoramaque), you'd have to ask him. I pretty much stole (err borrowed) this whole technique from him. :-D

It's Popdaddy's method (barbefunkoramaque), you'd have to ask him. I pretty much stole (err borrowed) this whole technique from him. :-D
Nice, well like I said it looks great so wherever you sto...borrowed it from nice job.

Nice looking brisket there -

haven't had sweetwater for a long while...

Good lookin' eats right there! Ya gotta love a good briskie / brewski combo like that.

I like the idea of not getting up at 4:30 to start the smoker.I am glad you have it down,we all have learned from Popdaddy.

Thanks to Saiko (and Popdaddy) this is the only method I use and my last 4 briskets done this way have turned out fantastic! What I really like is the consistent results I seem to get.

This is definitely the place to LEARN!!

Dude, I adopted Third eyes Ring set to my Tri Level Rub and Hot and fast method as well. So. You are doing just like I am. :) I love the ring. I wish sea salt was more available in 5 pound increments - talk about a ring.

Nice brisket Saiko!

Did I tell you I stole (err borrowed) your brisket chili recipe? I had a hard time coming up with some of the spices chile de arbol and ancho chili powder but I managed to get it down. It was awesome! and chile de arbol is now one of my favorite spices.

Nice brisket Saiko!

Did I tell you I stole (err borrowed) your brisket chili recipe? I had a hard time coming up with some of the spices chile de arbol and ancho chili powder but I managed to get it down. It was awesome! and chile de arbol is now one of my favorite spices.

And I stole the chili recipe from a cookbook I found at the Dallas airport! (although I have tweaked it quite a bit). Funny how that works.

You could always mail order the whole dried ancho chilis, dried chilis are very light so the shipping costs should be minimal. Best place to find them locally(and de arbol) is a Mexican grocery. Dried ancho chili powder is awesome on just about anything. I love to put a heavy layer on steaks before searing them, gives them a real nice color and flavor.

And finally, the reason I like to do big briskys (14 plus pounds): Leftovers!
Freezer packed 7 bags of flat slices/burnt ends combos, plus a "nibble bag" of debris, odd pieces, etc:
IMG_0036.jpg

Back