WSM, come to Papa!

If you do decide to go gadget crazy, get the Pitmaster IQ 120. It tells you your pit temp, food temp, and controls your airflow for steady temps. It is the best accessory I've ever bought for my WSM.

I have this too and it is great for long, overnight cooks. Any short or daytime cooks, I usually don't use it and go a la natural...

Ordered for delivery on May 21!

WSM 22; ThermoPop White; Maverick 733

So I'll be able to do a seasoning burn, and do brisket and St. Louis ribs on Memorial Day.

Oh man....

Welcome to the world of no stress smoking. I too started out with an ECB. Not knocking them but they take more work than a stick burner to hold even temp. My WSM made BBQ fun again.

You won't regret that purchase. You have all you need to cook some fabulous food.

My WSM and stoker is the only reason I still smoke a lot. I like good bbq thats easy to cook on a regular basis.

The Maverick ET-733 is a good move. I like it for being able to watch football games and see what happening at a glace. I have the ET-732.

As far as temp control devices, you don't really need them. I can run 270*F for up to 16 hours with maybe 6 adjustments on the vents. Once you learn it and get it seasoned, it will rock steady. The only enemy is strong wind.

Congrats I have my eye on one. Currently have cheap offset, gasser, and electric cabinet smoker, think I'm gonna just lost all three and get this one.

Yep. Fire that sucker up.

When I got my 2nd one, I realized just how funky the new ones smell and feel inside compared to a well-seasoned one. Here's what I did:

1. Light a fire with charcoal and let it burn for several hours with all the vents wide open. This is to burn out the oil and other junk from manufacturing. I actually ran several mesquite logs on top of a bed of lit coals just to make sure I had an extra hot fire. You can just use charcoal for this step if you want.

2. If you're in a hurry, you can continue straight after step 1, just make sure you loaded a FULL charcoal ring for step 1. Remove the water bowl (if it's hot, be careful). Put the grates back in and put a bunch of cheap bacon and chicken parts on the smoker. I used Costco packs of thick-cut bacon and chicken thighs. Just go with whatever's cheapest, if you can find a manager's special at the grocery store, even better. Throw in a dozen chunks of wood. Leave the vents wide open--you want a hot, smoky fire with lots of grease dripping into the coals. All of that grease and smoke is what gunks up the inside of the smoker and makes it smell delicious. You can run this overnight if you want, you don't need to check temps or anything, just make sure you're not burning down your house.

3. Clean out the crispy meat, dump your ashes, and you're ready for your first real cook.

Impressions

- As usual, Weber REALLY knows how to engineer a product.
- Access door was a little out of round, and that took about 9 seconds to correct. I anticipate the gunk build-up will provide all the seal it needs, but we'll see. At this point I don't anticipate getting the after-market upgrade.
- Getting that thermo-probe grommet on was a bear, just had to "finagle" it.
- That base unit looks like it would make a good fire pit. Anyone of y'all ever do that?
- Right as I was finishing the assembly, my 9-year old started listening to the song "Happy". Now that sure matched my mood!

I'll report in after the first cook this weekend.

- As usual, Weber REALLY knows how to engineer a product.
- Access door was a little out of round, and that took about 9 seconds to correct. I anticipate the gunk build-up will provide all the seal it needs, but we'll see. At this point I don't anticipate getting the after-market upgrade.
- Getting that thermo-probe grommet on was a bear, just had to "finagle" it.
- That base unit looks like it would make a good fire pit. Anyone of y'all ever do that?
- Right as I was finishing the assembly, my 9-year old started listening to the song "Happy". Now that sure matched my mood!

I'll report in after the first cook this weekend.

Oh heck yeah. You can use the bottom coal bowl and a grate to make a kettle. The dome will fit on the bottom section. If you have a sturdy table, raise it off the ground.

I just gave my USD its first run this past weekend and and loved using my 733, being able to do laundry, cut the grass and wash the car etc while having the Maverick receiver in my pocket keeping me in touch with the smoker is fantastic.

Maiden voyage

Today is just a burn-in, seasoning, gunkification... whatever you want to call it.

Here we are firing up a chimbley of KBB. Note: that ring in the 22 can swallow a TON of charcoal!

Poured in the lit, added various small-ish chunks of hickory I had, and assemblization then occurred at about 10:20. Bottom vents WFO for about 30 minutes, then I closed 2 of them. Putting out some nice thin blue smoke about now.

Yeah, the grommet was a PITA in my 14.5. They should put it on at the factory.

Back