Potato Salad

P

PorkQPine

Does anyone use Restaurant Depot for their potato salad, if not who do you use? Making potato salad for a catering job is time and space consuming and not sure the customers appreciate it like they do the BBQ. For most it seems like a throw away side. Slaw is different because it is much easier to make, can be made on site quickly and the difference in store bought and home made is dramatic.

Everyone seems to like their mom's potato salad and every mom made it differently so store bought seems like the best way to go.

Haven't tried RD Potato salad yet but usually make from scratch. So much better. :cool:

I always use RD potato salad. The yellow and white bucket with hellmans products. I also use their cole slaw. The buckets are 25lbs for 23 dollars, you cannot make it that cheap and the quality is pretty darn good, deli style salads.

I make my own. Potato salad is very cheap to make vs. buying. I actually have to drive an hour to get premade, and then it is about $3/lb. Not worth it to me. I can get bulk taters,fix it, and do it for about $1/lb. Mind your dimes and your dollars will watch themselves.

I always use RD potato salad. The yellow and white bucket with hellmans products. I also use their cole slaw. The buckets are 25lbs for 23 dollars, you cannot make it that cheap and the quality is pretty darn good, deli style salads.

How many people do you figure you can serve with 25 lbs. if you serve cole slaw and potato salad as sides with the meat?

I do all vending, I would say we gve about five ounces give or take, so three people per pound. I go through so much, that I have a hard time keeping track. I run a bottom line business, too much volume to keep track per person on sides. I would guestimate about 3-4 people per pound, use small spoons and probably more.

I understand txshuttes point, but when getting coleslaw for under a dollar a pound premade, I am alse getting 600lbs of pork, 400lbs off brisket, 1500 rolls, 6 cases of sauce, and about 40 other things that I need for the weekend, so the price is well worth it. If you can make one stop an hour a way for a large job it is worth it.

We always do it from scratch, but 25lbs for $23 sounds pretty tempting to go pre-made! But then it wouldn't be Jimbo's Tator salad it would be Jimbo serving someone elses tator salad...

Jacked up hit it on the head. I think we figure 1/4 to 1/3 a pound per person. I also always have left overs. YOU NEVER WANT TO LAY OUT SHORT!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

If I use a 3 compartment Chinette plate and a 4 oz. ladle, the beans will self level to 4 oz. but the potato salad will stack up on the ladle so it probably comes out to 5 oz. since not all the potato salad comes out of the ladle so if I figure 5 oz. per person for potato salad I should be fine. Does this sound right?

3 people a lb to be safe, so 75... 30 cents a person, why would you even think about making it homeade, dress it up with some shredded carrots, peppers and no one will ever second guess it.

I also agree with RD Hellman's potato salad. I used it for the first time last weekend. I used to make all my own when I was caterer, if I was sill in the business I would deffinately use this product vs. home made.

I guess I can be counted among those who usually throws it out.

Why? Because it usually tasteless and has that mushy, gloppy texture. Reminds me of cold mashed potatoes with mayo.

Boiled/steamed/cooked potatoes are fairly delicate. Machine mixing with paddle mixers in an acidic dressing, then pumping/augering it through tubes and into containers just beats the hell out of the product. Then let it sit on the shelf and you've further deterioration. Even my own homemade potato salad has a marked texture difference after 3 days in the fridge.

I don't doubt that what people like in potato salad is very subjective, and everyone likes the way mom made it. And I understand the reasons why those who buy it pre-made do so.

Just my opinion

Chris

IIRC you can also get it in ten pound size. Buy a ten pounder and decide for youself.

Back