Any Hasty Bake Owners?

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have had a Hasty Bake for about 5 years now (its at least ten years old).
I have fiddled with it, fooled with it, messed with it, and I just can't get it to stop burning the hell out of coal. Its just too drafty, top and bottom.

I still love it, it does a darn good job. The best part is the ability you get when you grill. You can crank the fire box up to withing three or four inches of the grate and get a perfect sear on a piece of meat, then crank it down to finish it off if need be. But if I could get a slow, properly drafted fire out of it-wow. I am thinking of sealing doors with gasket and maybe adding a stack.

Anybody Buelller, anyone?

I live about two miles from the Hasty Bake factory, and have had one for years. I agree that they are awesome grills.

They are just okay as smokers. I do smoke on mine, and have found that a fairly small fire combined with the deflector plate works pretty well.

I use mine for smoke ribs, chicken, and maybe a brisket flat when I don't want to fire up the Klose but the egg would be to small. Hourly fire tending seems to be the rule.

I have talked to Richard Alexander about a heavier model with a stack, we'll see what they come up with.

My dad had Classic then a Legacy.... lasted him for 20+ years. I stole a cherry original one, that we keep on the deck. I get it to cook slow, with all the dampers shut and the deflector plate in place. We can add a 1/2 pan of water sitting next to the coals under the deflector plate, or on the plate... and that usually solves it if we do get a heat issue. Pics of the one I stole for $25 are right here....http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=271382&postcount=10

My dad had Classic then a Legacy.... lasted him for 20+ years. I stole a cherry original one, that we keep on the deck. I get it to cook slow, with all the dampers shut and the deflector plate in place. We can add a 1/2 pan of water sitting next to the coals under the deflector plate, or on the plate... and that usually solves it if we do get a heat issue. Pics of the one I stole for $25 are right here....http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=271382&postcount=10

25 bucks, you did steal it...

I love the water pan idea...

Sweet one! Mine looks like Arnold at the end of Terminator 2!
Yep I've tried the water, too. Does good, just not great, trying to figure out if there is anything I might have missed

The best thing it does IMO is to fill the basket and crank it all the way down and slow roast. A chicken or a smaller pork or beef cut done over slow coals, thats good stuff.

if your door is warped at all, or the flaps warped, maybe that is why you are getting too much air. I have not gotten mine to run away. next time you set up, take some pics, I'd love to see how you set it up.I'll do the same if I fire mine up...

i have one but it is a work in progress. I am on the road most of the spring and summer so i haven't gotten to do much with it. BTW i believe it is a '66 model.

if your door is warped at all, or the flaps warped, maybe that is why you are getting too much air.

Well the top always was a tad warped and that moved a lot of air. For a while I just laid a paving brick on the top and that sealed it up. Then I had a little goof-after a grill this spring i put the hood down and left the door open. I got a kind of "Towering Inferno" effect! Burned paint, warped the heck out of the hood. So down stairs it went for help. Just in case I went out and bought another WSM!
I put the smallest stove gasket I could find around the rim of the hood, and squared up the hood best I could. Next time I used it I burned HALF the coal I normally do! Downside was the creosote taste was real pronounced, that no vent top I think. Well after four uses the gasket cement turned to jelly. Funny thing is that since the gasket came off, the hood is much more square than it was, just from resting on the gasket I think.

I have had as much fun playing with this thing as cooking on it.

Here was the rehab

I can't find any "afters" other than the baby backs
hb build.JPG

Picture 020.jpg

DSC03045.JPG

I have had a Hasty Bake for about 5 years now (its at least ten years old).
I have fiddled with it, fooled with it, messed with it, and I just can't get it to stop burning the hell out of coal. Its just too drafty, top and bottom.

I still love it, it does a darn good job. The best part is the ability you get when you grill. You can crank the fire box up to withing three or four inches of the grate and get a perfect sear on a piece of meat, then crank it down to finish it off if need be. But if I could get a slow, properly drafted fire out of it-wow. I am thinking of sealing doors with gasket and maybe adding a stack.

Anybody Buelller, anyone?
I have the same problem
the lid warped and it burns way to fast now
what can we do

I've gotten the impression, from the posts of some owners, that you get an unusually strong, and agreeable, smoke flavor when grilling on the HB (with the cover on), because of the fact that the exausts are set way down just below the level of the cooking grate. Does anyone find this to be the case?

I also live about 2 miles from the factory. I had a suburban I picked up for 100 bucks. Good grill but it did eat a lot of charcoal. I ended up using my egg more so I sold it. I think gaskets would help dramatically.

I do buy my lump from there. Know any place cheaper jeff?

Hasty Bake Lid | Hood Adjustment Fix

Hey, I'm a newbie here and a new Hasty Bake owner (Suburban) and have been able to relate to the comments I've seen here about them running too hot, people having to use too much fuel due to heat loss, hoods leaking smoke like crazy, buying gaskets that don't work, etc.

My first brisket was when I got on the internet and searched for help because my hood/lid was leaking smoke all around, and I was having trouble keeping the temp regulated. I don't know why my Hasty Bake came with this problem - I bought it and hauled it home myself from the dealer in Tulsa. Anyway, I found a fix and wanted to share it here - hope it helps someone.

Hasty-Bake Grill Hood Adjustments
https://vimeo.com/108146348

Hey, I'm a newbie here and a new Hasty Bake owner (Suburban) and have been able to relate to the comments I've seen here about them running too hot, people having to use too much fuel due to heat loss, hoods leaking smoke like crazy, buying gaskets that don't work, etc.

My first brisket was when I got on the internet and searched for help because my hood/lid was leaking smoke all around, and I was having trouble keeping the temp regulated. I don't know why my Hasty Bake came with this problem - I bought it and hauled it home myself from the dealer in Tulsa. Anyway, I found a fix and wanted to share it here - hope it helps someone.

Hasty-Bake Grill Hood Adjustments
https://vimeo.com/108146348

Thanks for posting that. No alignment problems so far but will keep this in mind :thumb:

Back