Meat Questions

W

Wine & Swine

Has anyone ever worked with any of the really "high end" pork or beef for bbq. I have worked with some really great products in restaurants and wonder how they would hold up. For example the Japanese Kurobuta pork (equivalent of Kobe beef) or Kobe/Wagyu beef (American or imported). I have never seen a brisket or pork shoulder of these types but they have to be available. I was wondering more for competitions than anything.

If I recall correctly, at BQ's Grilling on the Bay contest, the chef from Paul Kirk's R.U.B. restaurant used the Kurobuta pork for the pork category..

I did not recall the name but I remember he told me it was high end Japanese pork and it was very pricy. ($29/lb ??) Take it for what it's worth but they ended up placing 9th out of 10 teams in the Pork category.

kobe beef

I remember somebody using Kobe beef brisket and said it left a "film" in the roof of your mouth and really was not all that good.

I cooked a small non-sanctioned contest in Redmond, OR where the beef and pork were supplied. We cooked Kurobuta pork (some of the best product I have ever seen) Kobe from Kobe Beef America. The contest was the idea of the rancher that is the largest producer in the states.

We serve Kobe and Kurobuta at all of our caterings, it is a hit with the customers.

Mark Hoegh is the Marketing Director for Kobe Beef America, his e-mail is
mark@kobe-beef.com

also try Snake River Farms at CustomerService@SnakeRiverFarms.com

both supply Kurobuta pork.

What cuts were you guys working with, the only "lesser" cut I 've worked with was American "Kobe" flank steak it was alright.

There were folks cooking both Wagyu and Kobe Briskets at the World Brisket invitational.... but to my knowledge, the top 3 were all CAB &/or Choice.

I can say that Bichelmeyer's (in KC) has the Kobe beef available, and it appears to be much more tender, they seem to just fold on themselves.

I have not cooked one, however so I can't tell you how it compares to a USDA Choice, as they come out of the cooker...

Back