American Royal Invite

IowaWildHogsBbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what comps in Iowa are qualifiers? How about Minnesota? Someone told me that competitions that say state championships are qualifiers well they all say that. What about the Jack if you win gc at any of these your name goes in a drawing? Just trying to get a clarification on things.

If they are State championships and have 25 teams unless first year contest then 15 they are qualifiers. Same criteria for the draw for the Jack. All the qualifer winners go into a drawing for the Jack . If you do a search in here there are much more detailed descriptions but thats the simple explanation I believe.

Yes, they must say state championship or state qualifier. Only a hand full in Iowa are NOT qualifiers. If you have a question about one, PM me, I'd be glad to answer your questions.

I dont mean to speak for Shannon(Iowa Wild Hogs) and if I dont say something right I hope he corrects me, but since we talk almost daily I kinda know what is being questioned. He is doing a contest VEISHA and has little to no information and wants to make sure it is a qualifier. I am doing a contest Whiting that says winner will be in drawing for Jack but says nothing about the Royal, and we are both doing a contest in Storm Lake where the organizers dont seem to know exactly what is going on.

With the changes we are reading about regarding an organizer having 7 days to get the paperwork filled out Shannon is trying to make sure he knows what is going on to keep the organizers doing what they should and make sure if he does win he has the chance to fulfill one of his dreams

I dont mean to speak for Shannon(Iowa Wild Hogs) and if I dont say something right I hope he corrects me, but since we talk almost daily I kinda know what is being questioned. He is doing a contest VEISHA and has little to no information and wants to make sure it is a qualifier. I am doing a contest Whiting that says winner will be in drawing for Jack but says nothing about the Royal, and we are both doing a contest in Storm Lake where the organizers dont seem to know exactly what is going on.

With the changes we are reading about regarding an organizer having 7 days to get the paperwork filled out Shannon is trying to make sure he knows what is going on to keep the organizers doing what they should and make sure if he does win he has the chance to fulfill one of his dreams

Pretty sure both Storm Lake and Whiting both had proclamations last year. I don't think you can be qualified for one invitational an not the other on your garden variety state championship. So both should be good to go this year. See you in Storm Lake!!!

Iowa is one of those states that has a blanket proclamation. Any contest that is sanctioned and meets the other qualifying criteria (minimum 15 teams first year, 25 thereafter) is considered a State Championship and thus would qualify for the Royal Invitational and the Jack Draw. So as long as VEISHA and Storm Lake have 15 teams, they are qualifiers.

In 2007 the Iowa BBQ Society worked with Governor Culvers office to sign a proclamation that would make all Iowa BBQ Contests that are KCBS sanctioned Official State Championships. It was worded so that the proclamation was not year specific so that it could be used year after year. I have a copy of the proclamation if anyone needs it. It was designed to take that extra step out of each and every event trying to get through the channels of government to get a proclamation.

In 2007 the Iowa BBQ Society worked with Governor Culvers office to sign a proclamation that would make all Iowa BBQ Contests that are KCBS sanctioned Official State Championships. It was worded so that the proclamation was not year specific so that it could be used year after year. I have a copy of the proclamation if anyone needs it. It was designed to take that extra step out of each and every event trying to get through the channels of government to get a proclamation.

I would suggest that all organizers have a copy of the proclamation available for submission to the folks at the Royal. Having spoken to them, they are reviewing proclamations to insure that they are current and valid. Based on what I was told, I don't anticipate any problems for states with blanket proclamations that are worded the way you've described the proclamation that is in place for Iowa.

I appreciate all the answers and I hope I hit what Shannon was asking.

Todd last year Storm Lake was unsanctioned, but the lady in charge of organizing seemed to be really on top of things. This year it is sanctioned and someone new is in charge and they just dont seem to be on top of things. Hopefully I am wrong and they know exactly what is going on. I guess it depends on who you talk to.

I am not that worried about invites or getting into draws because I am just a little bass ackwards team trying to just have fun and meet people, but I know Iowa wild hogs is going hard and heavy to get into the Royal and I really dont know the answers to his questions very well on my limited experiences.

If anyone doing Storm Lake contest needs anything let me know, this is a local contest for me only 15 min away.

Last edited:
I would suggest that all organizers have a copy of the proclamation available for submission to the folks at the Royal. Having spoken to them, they are reviewing proclamations to insure that they are current and valid. Based on what I was told, I don't anticipate any problems for states with blanket proclamations that are worded the way you've described the proclamation that is in place for Iowa.

I have spoken with Melissa at The Royal office, and they are well aware of Iowa's blanket status. She said to just mark on the form that Iowa has a blanket proclamation. :grin:

So as long as VEISHA and Storm Lake have 15 teams, they are qualifiers.
If they are second year events (same name / location) even if they were unsanctioned last year and not 4 meats they need 25 teams that turn in all four categories this year. The AR people are watching this closely this year.

If they are second year events (same name / location) even if they were unsanctioned last year and not 4 meats they need 25 teams that turn in all four categories this year. The AR people are watching this closely this year.

I assumed that the clock began when you were sanctioned. Thanks for the clarification! So in that case, VEISHA needs 15 teams and Storm Lake will need 25.

I'm not trying to be ugly, but do you have a cite for that? It's just that at a contest I cooked at a while back, that year was its first for being sanctioned, and the cooks were told all they needed to be a Jack or AR qualifier was 15 teams. I had told them I thought they needed 25, but I was told no, only 15 since that was the first year the contest was sanctioned.

Thanks!

Lynn H.

Ur ugly and your mama wears combat boots:p:p:p:p

We (MABA) contacted the AR and BF about this specific issue last month to clarify a contest's status in our region(I have not heard back from BF). I asked the question "What constitutes a first time contest? First time ever? First time with 4 meats? First time sanctioned? First time with a proclamation?" and the answer I got was "First time ever". I then asked "So if you had the Smokin in the Boyz room backyard cookoff with chicken and burgers last year and this year Smokin in the Boyz room is a 4 meat sanctioned event with a proclamation you need 25 teams that turn in all 4 meats to get an AR invitation.?" and the answer was "Yes."

I've had a number of conversations on behalf of our association with the AR recently and what I've been told is that they are taking a hard look at some of the credentials of both contests and sanctioning bodies. The AR competition committee is currently reviewing what they consider constitutes a sanctioning body and they are going to come out with a list of "approved" sanctioning bodies that they will accept for the purpose of AR invitations. They are also looking at contest's proclamations and results a lot closer. Reading between the lines I suspect that they suspect that there have been a number of "manufactured" champions, events, and even sanctioning bodies in the recent past and as they put it to me they are taking steps to "preserve the integrity of their brand"

Our organization is currently following up with all of the organizers that held events since September 1st to insure that our members that won GC's don't get inadvertently shut out.

I'm not trying to be ugly, but do you have a cite for that? It's just that at a contest I cooked at a while back, that year was its first for being sanctioned, and the cooks were told all they needed to be a Jack or AR qualifier was 15 teams. I had told them I thought they needed 25, but I was told no, only 15 since that was the first year the contest was sanctioned.

Thanks!

Lynn H.

Minnesota has a blanket proclamation also, so are qualifiers as long as other requirements are met.

Thanks that clears everything now just to go hard and get to the royal and hopefully a draw. First full year of kcbs so see how things go.

Back