View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
I know I'm going to get some grief for this, but... What is the "average" cook time per pound if cooking between 250* & 300*? I know it's done when it's done, but I don't want my cook to start too early or too late.

I hope this isn't viewed as hijacking, just thought it might add to this thread.

Matt
For me...I start each cook with the meat going on at 225F. I open the vents and let the temp come up from there. It takes one hour to get to 250F. From there, my times...

250F to done...10 to 14 hours
275F to done...6 to 8 hours
300F to done...4 to 6 hours

And those are no more than estimates. Oh, and my one hour modifier, if I am clearly behind schedule, and I care more about hitting a timing mark than eating quality, about 4 hours out from when I want to eat, I will decide, if it is not close, I will raise the temperature to 375F, wrap in paper and put the spurs to it. It will be done in 60 to 90 minutes and then sit out until internal drops to 165F, wrap and cooler.

If I was cooking for dinner at 6 p.m., I start by assumng a 3 hour rest, then a 6 hour cook at 275F, then 1 hour to come up to temp. So meat goes on at 8 a.m. at the latest. If I miss this mark then I raise cook temp to 300F...I am always looking for that 3 hour rest.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->