Separate the event info from the normal competition chat?

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Right now 15 of the 30 post on "the front page" of the competition thread are Roll Call and Future Contest.

Anyone think it would be nice to separate the event info from the normal competition chat?

I know it isn't a big deal, but a thought!

troy

Right now 15 of the 30 post on "the front page" of the competition thread are Roll Call and Future Contest.

Anyone think it would be nice to separate the event info from the normal competition chat?

I know it isn't a big deal, but a thought!

troy

I have to admit I was thinking the exact same thing as I was pulling up the competition forum tonight. I come here for the BBQ know-how, and it seems like some good threads disappear all too often to make room for a roll call or a future contest . Wouldn't it be easy enough just to call one forum "roll call," and put all that info in there? It's not any more trouble to click on one subject than it is another. And I really don't think having a sub-forum is going to decrease the viewership of the original forum. Threads will stay up longer, and we certainly learn more there than reading a roll call. Also, if I'm going to participate in a competition I know where it is, when it is, and who is going to be there already most of the time. Just my opinion...

I have to admit I was thinking the exact same thing as I was pulling up the competition forum tonight. I come here for the BBQ know-how, and it seems like some good threads disappear all too often to make room for a roll call or a future contest . Wouldn't it be easy enough just to call one forum "roll call," and put all that info in there? It's not any more trouble to click on one subject than it is another. And I really don't think having a sub-forum is going to decrease the viewership of the original forum. Threads will stay up longer, and we certainly learn more there than reading a roll call. Also, if I'm going to participate in a competition I know where it is, when it is, and who is going to be there already most of the time. Just my opinion...

Threads don't disappear. Just go to the lower left hand corner of the forum and change the number of days posts to view.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the others are right.. It would certainly reduce viewership...

Two other points - Roll Call threads are really only at their peak for about 2-3 months in the summer.. And those threads generally get a lot of activity which means members like them.. If moving them into it's own sub forum reduces viewership (which it does), then that's counter productive.

Some people go to far with announcements and roll calls..........

Perhaps it would help if the thread life was extended so that you could easily view the last couple of weeks?

Perhaps it would help if the thread life was extended so that you could easily view the last couple of weeks?

There is a display option on the bottom of the page for you to easily do that.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the others are right.. It would certainly reduce viewership...

Two other points - Roll Call threads are really only at their peak for about 2-3 months in the summer.. And those threads generally get a lot of activity which means members like them.. If moving them into it's own sub forum reduces viewership (which it does), then that's counter productive.

Thanks for the advice about changing the number of days, Ron. I figured there was some way to find all of those other threads, I just hadn't taken the time to find it.
But I still disagree that adding a sub-forum would reduce viewership. I mean, would anyone seriously say "oh, I'm not going to read that thread because I have to click a different link?" It's similar to not watching a certain show on TV because you have to change the channel. If someone wants to know something about a contest, I'm pretty sure they're going to go to where that info is. I just don't see the rationale for reduced viewership.

Last edited:
But I still disagree that adding a sub-forum would reduce viewership. I mean, would anyone seriously say "oh, I'm not going to read that thread, I have to click a different link?" If someone wants to know something about a contest, I'm pretty sure they're going to go to where that info is. Which thread are you thinking is going to have reduced viewership, and for what reason? I just don't see the rationale for reduced viewership. Or is a sub-forum literally that - a thread within a thread? Maybe I'm getting the terms confused? If that's the case, I would suggest that "roll calls" had its own forum, just as "Catering" does.

To answer your first question.... Yes. Less people will go directly to a separate section and anything posted in there will be less viewed. A sub forum is not a thread within a thread, it's a separate sub forum within Comp (same as Mentoring, For the Board sections we have)

And here's another challenge we always encounter with idea of more sub-forums... The more an exception is made for one type of sub-forum (ex Roll Calls or contest annoucements), the more it opens the door for requests for others whether within Comp forum (ex. Comp Results) or Q-Talk breakouts. Then all the info gets scattered all over, also makes more work for the mods to move stuff into the right forums (believe it or not, members often put new threads they create in wrong places and we constantly clean it up). Check out all the other BBQ forums with so many sub forums for every possible category breakout, and you'll see and often hear that it becomes messy and why would we want to be the same as others ?)

comp activity forum activity only really gets jumping for 3 or so months then dies down considerably.. Why have a separate sub forum for areas that are going to be relatively dead for 9 months a year ? As well, some of the most viewed & posted to threads are Roll Calls, Announcements, Results - why move some of the most popular stuff ?

We added the highlighted/ colored forum pre-fixes for a reason - To make it easier for people to see those that are interested, and also easier for those who have no interest to skip over them.

Last edited:
I think it's a really good idea - but definitely sounds like it's not practical.

AND - I think this is a good time to say THANK YOU! to the moderators.

I sure appreciate all the work that you folks do for us!

I used to moderate a forum back in the dark ages and I am glad that's over with! :)

Lots of thankless hours, that's for sure. It's definitely a labor of love . . .

THANK YOU!

To answer your first question.... Yes. Less people will go directly to a separate section and anything posted in there will be less viewed. A sub forum is not a thread within a thread, it's a separate sub forum within Comp (same as Mentoring, For the Board sections we have)

And here's another challenge we always encounter with idea of more sub-forums... The more an exception is made for one type of sub-forum (ex Roll Calls or contest annoucements), the more it opens the door for requests for others whether within Comp forum (ex. Comp Results) or Q-Talk breakouts. Then all the info gets scattered all over, also makes more work for the mods to move stuff into the right forums (believe it or not, members often put new threads they create in wrong places and we constantly clean it up). Check out all the other BBQ forums with so many sub forums for every possible category breakout, and you'll see and often hear that it becomes messy and why would we want to be the same as others ?)

comp activity forum activity only really gets jumping for 3 or so months then dies down considerably.. Why have a separate sub forum for areas that are going to be relatively dead for 9 months a year ? As well, some of the most viewed & posted to threads are Roll Calls, Announcements, Results - why move some of the most popular stuff ?

We added the highlighted/ colored forum pre-fixes for a reason - To make it easier for people to see those that are interested, and also easier for those who have no interest to skip over them.

Well, just as the first poster said...not a big deal. You guys do an excellent job with the site, and I wouldn't dare say otherwise! Thank you for your hard work! :thumb:

Back