Chicken Skin Experiment with Heavy Pron

great post! Thanks for taking the time... this is gold!

Great thread!! I like experiments, especially side-by-side ones. Once I got the hang of scraping, I'm pretty fast. I used mayo a few years ago after a series of posts about it, I may have to give it another try soon.

One tip on the baking powder method, try poking a bunch of holes in the skin with a needle. This way the fats escape to the surface and help the overall texture when they combine with the baking powder.

When I saw your photo with the mayo under the skin, I had a major flashback to a comp last year. I had a thigh with a similar substance in it, it was slimy and snot-like, and the skin was rubbery. I thought it was some kind of injection gone bad....

attachment.php

Great review Thank You My wife has baked mayo chicken with bread crumbs and parm cheese and Mayo chockolate cake- both moist and very tasty

Well done. Now the question is how this would be at 325 or 350 degrees? Scraped or not scraped, the mayo ones were bite through -- good to know.

3 with mayonnaise, 1 scraped and mayo applied under the skin. 1 not scraped and mayo applied under the skin. 1 not scraped and mayo applied to the outside.

The Results:
Mayo – The one not scraped with mayo on top of skin, was bite thru and added a slight tangy flavor. You could still see the brush marks from applying mayo with sauce brush but only slightly. The one not scraped with mayo on the inside of the skin was very rubbery and the mayo remained visible and look goopy, almost a ricotta cheese looking. The one scraped and mayo on the outside of skin was bite thru and very tasty with an added tang. The brush marks from applying the mayo were not visible.

Just a quick question. First, you said mayo under the skin of the scraped. Then, you said mayo on the outside of the scraped. Do you remember which way it was?

Great review!! :clap2:

Very nice, I am glad people do these tests, as I could never keep track myself

Just a quick question. First, you said mayo under the skin of the scraped. Then, you said mayo on the outside of the scraped. Do you remember which way it was?

Great review!! :clap2:

I did one of each. 3 mayo with 2 scraped and 1 not. The scraped one with mayo on backside of skin is the picture with it still visible and goopy. No bite thru on that one. The other 2 had mayo on the outside and were both bite thru. My mistake in wording and couldn't edit it as it was too late.

Well done. Now the question is how this would be at 325 or 350 degrees? Scraped or not scraped, the mayo ones were bite through -- good to know.

In my experience the higher heat will produce bite thru without any "tricks". I prefer to cook 275 or under which makes it a bit more difficult, at least for me.

Can you explain the term "scraped" to me and how that is done?

Lots of threads on this and more detailed than I can give you at the moment. Basically, take the skin off. Flip it so the inside of skin is up. See the nasty fat staring back at you? Grab a knife (some say sharp and others like a little dull) and scrape it away until the skin is transparent. Takes a little practice but isn't so bad. If you look at the pictures i posted before the cook you can tell which one are scraped and which aren't.

Fantastic side by side cook. Sure had to be a long process, one I definitely have learned from reading your results.
Looks like more thighs are on the menu here this week.

Great job and I appreciate the time you took to do the tests. Having said that, we cook at 275, never scrape, never apply anything other than rub, and get bite through skin every time. One word: Jacard.

Great job and I appreciate the time you took to do the tests. Having said that, we cook at 275, never scrape, never apply anything other than rub, and get bite through skin every time. One word: Jacard.

We all have our ways. This was done for fun and to hopefully give a little help for those who have wanted to try some of these but haven't done so. I've used Jaccard as well and it works well but I have only used it on beef short ribs.

Nice experiment. Thanks for taking the time to do this, and to share with us.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiment, first time I have heard about scraping, can't wait to give it a shot with a little mayo!

Neat--can you share the other parameters (time temp &c). Thanks for doing the experiment.

Back