THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
[SIZE=-1]Howdy All,

I was going to smoke a
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]roast [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]tomorrow for some sandwiches.

I was thinking after cooking it and bring it back down in temp, I would set it in the fridge till the next day, then use my slicer to make slice / shave it for sandwiches.

So my questions are:
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

What should be the internal temp?

How should I marinade?

Any other tips.

Thanks
[/SIZE]

Beef

I would think 140 internal will do it med. rare thats if you like med. rare, also you can make au ju with the juice, and make a nice horseradish sauce with it and french bread, maybe saute some onions and mushrooms....going to store:-D

Juice

Put a small rack in a alumin. pan and put the beef on the rack, it'll save on alittle clean-up and you'll still get the smoke flavor...saute the onions and mushrooms in the pan or with a cast iron skillet in the smoker!

I would think 140 internal will do it med. rare thats if you like med. rare, also you can make au ju with the juice, and make a nice horseradish sauce with it and french bread, maybe saute some onions and mushrooms....going to store:-D
Ah the visuals. $hit stuck at work eating out of vending machines.

[SIZE=-1]Howdy All,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I was going to smoke a [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]roast [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]tomorrow for some sandwiches.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I was thinking after cooking it and bring it back down in temp, I would set it in the fridge till the next day, then use my slicer to make slice / shave it for sandwiches.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]So my questions are:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]What should be the internal temp? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]How should I marinade?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Any other tips.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Thanks[/SIZE]
So how did it turn out?

Got a roast marinating in the fridge since last night and am gonna smoke it this afternoon.

Was gonna smoke it to about 135* then cooler for an hour. After a night in the fridge I was gonna slice her up for sammies. Better yet, an open roast beef sammie with mashed taters & gravy. Great, now I'll really hungry.

So how did it turn out?

Got a roast marinating in the fridge since last night and am gonna smoke it this afternoon.

Was gonna smoke it to about 135* then cooler for an hour. After a night in the fridge I was gonna slice her up for sammies. Better yet, an open roast beef sammie with mashed taters & gravy. Great, now I'll really hungry.

Sounds about right for a sirloin / tri tip/ round roast, to me. I cook chuck roasts longer, slower, and to a higher temp to allow some of the fat to render.

All the info for slicing is "right on".

For a variation, cook a Chuck Roast (or Brisket for that matter) to 200-205 internal like a Butt for PULLED BEEF!

Great intense beef flavor and works great on sandwiches!

Just a different approach.

Happy Cooking.

TIM

I used a bottom round roast and took it to 150*. I used my ECB and it cooked a little faster than what I was expecting so I missed my earlier target of 135* (stupid warm-ideal-hot temp guage). Still, when I pulled out the temp prob, the juices were still a little bloody. Gonna leave it wrapped in a beach towel on the counter for an hour then put in the fridge and slice in the morning.

I do a lot of eye of round roasts for sandwich meat. A lot of folks I know don't like their sandwich meat as rare as they do their normal beef so I usually take it to 170* and then wrap it tight and refrigerate it overnight. I will have a slight blush in the center and lots of juice's but not enough to stain your bread red.

All the info for slicing is "right on".

For a variation, cook a Chuck Roast (or Brisket for that matter) to 200-205 internal like a Butt for PULLED BEEF!

Great intense beef flavor and works great on sandwiches!

Just a different approach.

Happy Cooking.

TIM

What TIM said, that pulled chuckie mad some great sandwiches!

It sliced up beautifully after a night in the fridge. Had good flavor but there is plenty opf room for improvement.

Over all, not too shabby for my first one done like this.

Gonna make up a gravy with the fat & jelly and serve with some mashed tatters for supper.

Of course, I'll get a little sammie for lunch when no one is looking.

Back