• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Brine question

Plaid Palace

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question here but I doing a chicken brine that has 1 gallon warm water, 3/4 cup kosher salt, 2/3 cup sugar and 3/4 cup soy sauce.

After I drain and pat the chicken dry once it is ready to cook would you put another seasoning or something on the chicken or do you just leave it the way it is?

Your choice, use a favorite rub or blend some herbs and rub them on. Some evoo and some sea salt is great too. I hope there is Ice also. Cant put chicken in warm water.

Oh and Roll Tide!!!

It says allow the brine to cool to room temperature. Should I allow it to cool and put ice in it?

If you do a search down below, you'll find all the info you need and then some. You have several options, some folks go with a simple EVOO with S&P to those that put butter and rub under the skin, on the skin, in the cavity with aromatics, etc. etc.. Just try different ways until you find what hits your personal hot button and have fun with it!

Definitely season the bird after brining.

A note on your brine. I usually start mine with 1/2 the liquid to dissolve the salt and sugar over heat. When everything is dissolved I add in ice water to come up to the full gallon. Then I am ready to go quicker. After the bird is done with its 4 hour soak, I then do a re-soak for 15-20 min in cold tap water. Then I pull and pat dry. If you have time, let sit uncovered in the fridge to let the skin dry out further. 6-8 hours usually does a nice job. That will help with crispy skin.

First off, that's a pretty sweet brine. Most brines will have 1C salt and 1/2C sugar to 1 gallon of water. Not that yours won't work, just something I noticed.

You certainly CAN just cook the bird after rinsing and patting dry out of the brine, but why not help the cook with some more seasoning. Although the brine does help a little with flavor, it's mainly meant to impart moisture into the bird, so adding more seasoning is a good idea.

AND I do agree with CKP above. I usually soak my chickens for 5-8 hours in brine and after rinsing and drying, I try and always allow time for a rest in the fridge to dehydrate the skin for at least a couple of hours.

Kosher salt and soy salt - how salty was the bird?

Smoke it without seasoning, if you like it, stick with that.
If you think it needs something more season it.
Personally, we really like the Road Side brine w/ no added seasoning.

Back