cbj continuing education

48/50 - the two questions I missed don't conform to what I've seen happen in the field.

Yep, 100% :thumb:. And most of those questions ARE on the Master's test, along with a couple of other tricky ones.

What I'd also like to see is some continuing education that keeps going after you receive your Master CBJ.

OK got em all, just took my masters test.
One of my biggest gripes about the master test is all the cutsy questions that can easily be right or wrong.
Couple of examples:
All KCBS contests start at noon. I have been at contests that will have a extra (anything but, etc) catagory at 11:30
  1. TRUE or FALSE: Decimals are used in scoring KCBS sanctioned events.
    True
    False

Correct!
    Ref: Rules and Regulations, Judging Procedures, #4
The answer here is yes, decimals are most definatley used in scoring, but if you add
"decimals used by judges" then the answer is no.
It is of the utmost importance that any continuing education courses be simple and well thought out questions that will teach rules and practices. No more of those cute double could be answers.
Ed

Or my favorite question on the Master's test: "You're the Table Captain and . . . " :confused: :mad: :shock:

If this exam is similar to the Master CBJ exam, then I am truly disappointed!!! I always felt that the Master's exam would be much more difficult and truly test the knowledge of CBJs! I still have a few contests to judge before taking the Master exam, but this test is too easy IMHO.

I don't think the Masters test should be hard. It should represent a very good working knowledge of the rules (put in a straight forward question) and practices of continueing problems addressed by rep notifications.
No need for tricky over thinking answers.
Ed

49/50 Didn't know I had to eat around a hair I found in the box. Thought it would make sense to tell the table captain. I must have missed that part of the class.

That's the only question I missed on the Masters test. This is what I mean by straight forward answers to a question.
Of course the first thing you do is notify the table captain.....
Ed

Well I will admit I didnt do as good as others.I didnt do horrible in my opinion 45/50 and didnt read one question like I should have and OVER analyzed another one. But I legitimately missed them as well as 3 others.

I dont want to ruin it for others but I have 2 questions one I got wrong and one I got right, so I will try to be as vague as i can. On the one I missed I have never heard of the "napkin test" did I just tune that out in class :redface: and the question on the one I got right. How would a JUDGE know if a specific muscle is separated on a pork turn in?? I mean honestly if a JUDGE is going by the bark, there are some cooks with some really good knife skills for more of a cooking area. so how honestly would a JUDGE know if separated or not.

Sorry if I sound foolish but I am curious about those things.

Last edited:
Well I will admit I didnt do as good as others.I didnt do horrible in my opinion 45/50 and didnt read one question like I should have and OVER analyzed another one. But I legitimately missed them as well as 3 others.

I dont want to ruin it for others but I have 2 questions one I got wrong and one I got right, so I will try to be as vague as i can. On the one I missed I have never heard of the "napkin test" did I just tune that out in class :redface: and the question on the one I got right. How would a JUDGE know if a specific muscle is separated on a pork turn in?? I mean honestly if a JUDGE is going by the bark, there are some cooks with some really good knife skills for more of a cooking area. so how honestly would a JUDGE know if separated or not.

Sorry if I sound foolish but I am curious about those things.

i didn't learn about the napkin test in the cbj class, it was during a judges meeting priot to a contest. i also missed the pork muscle question. 46/50.

Freddy, here's my thinking on the pork muscle:
If you butterfly a butt, laying the meat out kind of flat and leave the money muscle attached by a hair of connective tissue, you can then put rub almost all the way around the MM. And you will also get a smoke ring (which we're NOT supposed to judge) that goes so far around the MM that it's very hard to see that the MM was, in fact, connected to the rest of the butt.
I don't know how a judge would be able to tell if it was seperated or not.

Thanks Dave, that was kinda might point. I did get the question right but i guess I didnt see the purpose in having that as a question for a judge because to me there is no way a judge would know one way or the other how it was cooked, and if a portion of it was separated while cooking.

49/50 Didn't know I had to eat around a hair I found in the box. Thought it would make sense to tell the table captain. I must have missed that part of the class.

That's the only question I missed on the Masters test. This is what I mean by straight forward answers to a question.
Of course the first thing you do is notify the table captain.....
Ed

Our CBJ instructor devoted a whole slide and considerable discussion to this question. He said you don't really even need to alert the table captain, just remove the hair and go on. The reasoning was that you don't know where that hair came from...could have been the cook, the table captain, or one of the other judges.

Our CBJ instructor devoted a whole slide and considerable discussion to this question. He said you don't really even need to alert the table captain, just remove the hair and go on. The reasoning was that you don't know where that hair came from...could have been the cook, the table captain, or one of the other judges.

Slide? You got a slide show? Thats the first I ever heard of having slides..
There are a number of ways to react after noticing a hair. If there were more than six samples you would ask for a different one. If your to squeemish to eat a piece of meat that has a hair embedded in it there are Rep advisorys with several directions on how to proceed.
So I'm of the opinion still that the first thing you do unless you just fling the hair and chow down, is tell the TC.
Ed

Back