Smokin Turkey

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, so after I finally got to see Smokin_D's tiny reverse flow, I figured I'd start building my own. Well a prototype and then simplify the thing for reproducing. Anyway.. I printed 3 pictures I took of Rich's little guy and one of a new Lang (which is more the design I prefer) and set out on a mission! I just started cutting and welding with only the idea I would build it as I go with only a vague idea of what it will be when it is done.

Meet "twiggy" Day 1...

This is the inspiration picture I hung up..
0221091834.jpg

Here you see her from the end which will attach to the firebox.
0221091835.jpg

Here you can see her open and the heat duct with grease drain running down it.
0221091835a.jpg

Finally, here you can see the end I have left open until last to make sure everything can go in and out of the main door.
0221091836.jpg

The pipe I chose is just under 1/4" thick and so far, all the materials I have used have been at least 1/8" making her a tiny tank!

I hope to get some extra time this week to finish the firebox and get the exhaust on her not to mention build the trailer with lights! not sure if she will have Propane starter but I do like the setup on Rich's little bugger.

-Brian

Looking great! That thing looks pretty small, how big of a pipe is that??? 10"??? heh-heh....you're working on your 10" pipe...heh-heh!

Awhile back you were asking questions in anticipation of building smokers to sell. Didn't know you would be working on such a grand scale. :biggrin: Nice looking work.

Hey looked back at pics. Is that were you weld? Are you not afraid of damaging the CPU with RF or dust/smoke?

Hey looked back at pics. Is that were you weld? Are you not afraid of damaging the CPU with RF or dust/smoke?

Yeah, I have a draft hood for dust extraction, I also have everything isolated on it's own ciruit, and have the PC surge protected. I also blow the PC out with air daily. It's the PC that runs CAD for my CNC machine so it does see more than it's fair share of grinding and plasma dust. I don't store anything on it and it's like an 8 yearold computer someone gave to me when I started the business. I also have 2 more incase this one takes a dive. I do plan on building a computer cabinet eventually but for now, I am short on space and this is a fair trade.

I am, in the next week or so, going to build a cart for my MIG and gas which will free up some work space along with a stand for my drill press. Then I can move the whole operation away from the computer. I will also skin the entire table in 1/8" steel so I can just set the project to be welded on it and ground the table. I was working with the piece you see below twiggy but as you can see, i've outgrown it. I plan to have as many as three building at one time and the space to keep them all going.

This is also at the same time as my hitch covers and grill grates. I think when summer comes, if I have the business to support it, I will try to hire another disabled vet friend of mine.

Nice work on twiggy,can't wait to see the finished product. I also want to tell about the Wall Hanging you made for my BIL. I called Brian with a idea for my BIL's birthday and he really came thru for me. I talked to my BIL last night and he said the craftmanship was outstanding.This is a sketch that Brian sent to me.The finished product he sent directly to FL.Thanks Brother.

Attachments

• Fred Tractor.jpg
    Fred Tractor.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 216
Nice work on twiggy,can't wait to see the finished product. I also want to tell about the Wall Hanging you made for my BIL. I called Brian with a idea for my BIL's birthday and he really came thru for me. I talked to my BIL last night and he said the craftmanship was outstanding.This is a sketch that Brian sent to me.The finished product he sent directly to FL.Thanks Brother.

Thanks to you! Glad I could help and get you a quality product.

On another note, I was just contacted by a brethren who let me know Rich's builder already has the rights to the name Twiggy and also asked me to take down the pictures of his build. it was an accident as I thought, tiny stick burner, why not call it twiggy?

I do see my build as an evolution and when complete, a completely different machine. I would like to apologize to Rich and the builder of his rig for feeling exploited and hope there are no hard feelings. I sent PMs so I hope to hear back.

Idea's for another name? I was thinking "Whole Dog Smoker" (meaning hot dog) or "Teeny Weeny"?

Very nice work we have a cnc plasma at sschool but havent run it yet we going to use a laptop. How hard are they to learn?

Looks like a great little unit. 1/4 material so far, should be a great steady heat unit.
You mentioned a cart for your welding gear, here's a pic of the one I build for mine. Just an idea. Started life as a HF yard cart.

Attachments

• cart1.JPG
    cart1.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 188
Looks like a great little unit. 1/4 material so far, should be a great steady heat unit.
You mentioned a cart for your welding gear, here's a pic of the one I build for mine. Just an idea. Started life as a HF yard cart.

Great use of unused materials! I have this cart like that I picked up at Sams a few years back to help in a move which It was used for the move and then was always in the way in the shed. It held junk. Now it sits outside my shop to aid in the removal of the mountain of scrap. When I get enough scrap where it can't hold anymore, I load it in the truck. That is my scrap timer as my wife would call it.

I have an idea to adapt a project on the Lincoln welding site. If you ever need some inspiration for a welding project, I suggest you visit there and see the projects with instructions and shopping lists that have been submitted.

Nice work!(from a fellow fab man)

Thanks! I found it very difficult to weld in such a tight area. Notice the not so straight welds. I welded in 1" stitches which over lapped and alternated sides to keep from warping. The welds will be hidden by the cooking grate and it's support.

You sure do nice work. That is going to be a great little smoker.

I hope so! I am considering making the whole thing into a hitch cover for my truck so I can display it as well as cook on it. I will toy with that idea when it's nearing completion.

Very nice work we have a cnc plasma at sschool but havent run it yet we going to use a laptop. How hard are they to learn?

My CNC plasma was about as easy as could be to use. I have played with some standard machines like the one from Torchmate. It is all numbers and coordinates. Mine is more of a GUI based application. Think, HTML programming to web interface drag and drop. I have the option to use coordinates for my fine tuning cuts which offer me accuracy to within .005".
Also, I can cut from very thin gauge to 1.5" thick steel. I have cut Stainless, hot and cold rolled steel, Brass, and aluminum with it.

Chip? (going with fuel idea minus twig reference)

So then I could call the mini stumps clone I plan to do next month 'Ponch' ? :rolleyes:

OK! I got it.. I will create a line of Micro cookers entitled "CHiPs" short for wood chips since these guys are small... :cool:

This little guy is called "Officer Jon"

The little stumps clone I am drawing up now will be "Officer Ponch"

What do you think? :biggrin:

Back