what knife do you use to cut ribs

B

bbq lover

:mrgreen:hello all im looking for your input what knife do you use to cut ribs ?thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Same knife I use to slice brisket and pork... 14" slicer with gratan edge.

I want to be able to feel how tender my ribs actually are as I'm slicing them. So, I use a 6" curve boning knife - rigid, not flexible. Sometimes you try a rib off the end and it's the perfect tenderness, or even a little over done, but as you cut the ribs you discover that the middle of the slab is a little tight. It's easy to tell my the resistance you feel as you cut. This has saved me turning in tough ribs many times.

Rod

I want to be able to feel how tender my ribs actually are as I'm slicing them. So, I use a 6" curve boning knife - rigid, not flexible. Sometimes you try a rib off the end and it's the perfect tenderness, or even a little over done, but as you cut the ribs you discover that the middle of the slab is a little tight. It's easy to tell my the resistance you feel as you cut. This has saved me turning in tough ribs many times.

Rod
Thank Rod, that is the same knife that I use but now I have an explanation for it!:biggrin:

Lately have been using a chefs knife or which one is sharp. I need a set of good knives. That is what I am asking from Santa. Will have to make sure I am extra good

I've been using a smaller knife lately. Easier for me to work on the slight curve in spares without looking ragged.

thanks for all your input I was at a cookout and we had sharp knifes but the guy next to use his knife cut the ribs like butter so I thought I would ask the masses

I like to use dental floss.. OK!

After that last turn in box at Clovis I will need to think hard about it for 2009, we are done for 2008. Started out using the 14 inch Forschner Granton, then went to the 10 inch Chefs knife. I have a friend in the CBBQA that competes and swears buy the 7 inch boning knife, may have to give that a try.

Did not read any posted before this, will be intrested in the responses.

Mod: Will definitly have to try the boning knife this weekend on the spares!

I use a cleaver in a rocking motion on the backside of my spares. Perfect everytime.

lately I have been using my new Henkels ProS 12" chefs knife. I like the longer. wider knife because I like to keep the front of the blade down especially when making precision cuts. I like to "feel" my way when I am slicing as well by keeping a light grip on the handle and not using alot of pressure.

All of that being said I dont know that the knife itself is going to make that much of a difference. If its sharp and reasonably suited for the job its going to the job to the best of your ability. I think technique and knife skills are as, if not more important than the who makes your knife.

i actually use a pair of all purpose snips. they work great and you get a nice straight cut and you can control so much better than a knife.

for my entire competition career (two comps :biggrin:), i've used my wusthof culinar 8" carving knife but i think what's more important is how you actually place the slab on the board and apply the pressure....

the best cuts i've made were when the slab was meat side down on the board.

Back